BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 am

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:As an aside, I like the phrase "straight-up gay." And I actually have used it in conversation before.

Is it because it sounds like it's nearly an oxymoron? That's why I enjoy it.

It is indeed.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 pm

This isn't so much a blurt as an appeal for advice. I'm teaching two classes, both English 104 (a rhetoric and composition class focused on college-level research and argumentation). My first class is awesome: overall, students participate in discussion, we debate ideas, and they follow assignment instructions. The second class...not so much.

Here's my specific issue: I had both classes use various brainstorming techniques to help them come up with research paper topic ideas. I asked them to write their ideas down, then indicate their preferred topic and write a brief explanation of/justification for it. I've been going through both classes' responses and about 90% of the first class followed the latter part of those instructions, while roundabout 60-70% of my second class followed them. I'm not sure to what degree I am the problem here; when my second class don't want to participate in discussion it throws me off my game a bit so I might not have communicated the instructions to them as clearly as I did to the first class.

That's not what I want advice/discussion about, though. I told my students that they can get 1-2 extra credit points for turning in their topic ideas: 1 point for doing it, 2 points if it's particularly good. My impulse is to give those in the second class who actually followed directions 2 points, but I want to use higher standards for the first class because the majority of them follow directions anyway. I feel like it might set a bad precedent if I establish different standards for these two classes. But, on the other hand, maybe I shouldn't hold my second class to the high standard set by my first one.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 pm

If you want the same outcome from both groups, then the standards should be the same. Lowering standards for one group, does nothing for them except to get them accustomed to those lower standards and not help fully prepare them for other ventures. Most likely the two classes don't talk with each other, but if by chance they did, the group with the higher standards may start slacking off because of the un-even goals.
Example: If my coworker and I are working on the same project-type, we should have the same due date. If she is a slower worker than me, then she needs to be able to stay extra time, etc. to get it done and not have her due date extended. If hers does get extended, then my due-date should also be extended, even though I could get the project done in the original time frame, and I'd probably spend more time on another project or just messing around, since I have extra time. (Note: This is an example...I always get my projects done when they should be done...just in case anyone wanted to question my work ethic. :| )
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I would say that you have to mark them both to the same standard. Will they count towards their final overall mark at all?

Perhaps it's normal to get one group that's a little bit less cooperative. I guess somebody who's been around for a while will know. I can remember being flummoxed by the little idiosyncrasies of the first group that I taught, but apparently it was all quite normal. Presumably I'll be equally flummoxed by this year's group at first.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby mulpis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm not sure if this applies to teaching a classroom full of semi-grown-ups, but at my house, with my kids, my motto has always been "I don't reward expected behavior." Like, nobody paid me to cook you dinner, so I'm not going to pay you to do the dishes. You just do it, and your reward for doing it is that it's done and you can you stop doing it. If I offer a reward for stuff I expect them to do, it suddenly makes it optional. They could decide that the reward, the "extra credit" if you will, isn't worth the trouble of doing the work. I want to make it clear to them that some things are required, and if they do it, their reward is simply not getting penalized. If my kids want "extra credit" (in our case, an allowance), they have to do something, well, extra. I give them plenty of opportunities to do extra work, and give them the decision of whether or not its worth it. But basic every day expectations, that comes down just being responsible and taking care of business. That was a very rambling metaphor for my advice on your class - if it's something that they need to do for the sake of their education, as part of the regular requirements of the class, then it's not extra, and they shouldn't be given extra credit for it. Just my two cents (because you earned it.) :wink:
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. It kind of confirms what I was already thinking, which is good. As a new teacher, I think I have trouble trusting my instincts.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:23 pm

NO POINTS FOR ANYONE. EVERYONE HAS TO DO P.E. IN THEIR UNDERWEAR.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am

jvcc wrote:
chrismachine wrote:The pronoun above doesn't mesh with traditional concepts of something someone might be "out" about. With his being only sporadically involved in threads here, he likely missed that you're talking about bisexuality and not being straight-up gay.

I was thinking that might be it. It also could be that he thinks the best friend I came out to is the same guy I asked out. But it wasn't, because the best friend in question is a straight lady.

As an aside, I like the phrase "straight-up gay." And I actually have used it in conversation before.

Yep. All of that.. and I like doing the Frysquint at people.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 pm

I like that last one.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby PonderThis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 am

Yeah, it's the sort of thing that really
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby mulpis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:05 am

dang you! That will haunt me all day. I need closure!!!
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Does the beer can thing not work in other accents?

I ALSO LIKE THE LOADING ONE.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:28 pm

This evening I found out that my ex, with whom I split up (as in by whom I was dumped) a little over a year ago, just had a baby. I guess we weren't very serious, and it was never going to last, but it still feels pretty strange. I'm trying to feel good things about it before a stupid spiral of negativity can take hold. It is, after all, a happy event, and I'm pleased for her. But it's so weird, and it makes me wonder things, which is never productive. It also casts an unforgiving light on the lack of motion in my own life.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Are you upset with the "lack of motion in [your] own life" because there's a direction in which you want to be moving or because you feel like you should be moving in a certain direction?
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Well any sort of significant progress would obviously be good, but specifically (and unsurprisingly) the main thing this puts in mind is the complete lack of any romantic involvement for the past year. That might sound creepier than I meant it.

I think a lot of what I found difficult is that while I very much enjoyed our time together (the early stages were among my happiest memories), in retrospect there wasn't a great deal of substance to it. At the time that seemed fine, and it seemed like that's what she wanted at that point, so to find that she's made the huge decision to conceive a child with someone just a few months after our relationship ended is quite humbling. She can't have been with the father of her child much longer than she was with me before conceiving, and already she felt ready to have a child with him!

A couple of things make me feel a bit better about it. Firstly, although our relationship lasted a few months, we weren't actually in the same place for very much of it. That obviously changes things somewhat. Secondly, although I don't know who the father is, I have a suspicion someone might be a guy she's been very close to for a long time, and who I kind of expected her to eventually end up with. Frustratingly, I don't know if there's a way I can ask about that without it being weird and potentially offending.

Anyway, our relationship really wasn't that big of a thing, so I probably shouldn't pay it any mind, buy I have quite a talent at making all issues secretly be about how awful I am.

Double anyway, I got in contact and congratulated her earlier today, and things were entirely pleasant between us, so that's another reason I feel better about it. It's a good thing.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 am

Hopefully nothing will come of this, but I have a student in one of my classes who's been expelled from the university but still came to class today. If he comes again I've been instructed to call campus police. Guess we'll find out on Wednesday. Yay.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:24 am

jvcc wrote:Hopefully nothing will come of this, but I have a student in one of my classes who's been expelled from the university but still came to class today. If he comes again I've been instructed to call campus police. Guess we'll find out on Wednesday. Yay.

He must, um, really love learning.

So much so that they kicked him out for making the other students look bad? That will serve as my personal reality in this matter.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby jvcc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:35 am

EsBe wrote:
jvcc wrote:Hopefully nothing will come of this, but I have a student in one of my classes who's been expelled from the university but still came to class today. If he comes again I've been instructed to call campus police. Guess we'll find out on Wednesday. Yay.

He must, um, really love learning.

So much so that they kicked him out for making the other students look bad? That will serve as my personal reality in this matter.

That's much better than the actual reality, which is that he was charged with domestic battery earlier in the semester.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Apparently just before I started secondary school, some older girls got expelled for a combination of pimping and whoring. It sounds like the pimp in question must have been an enterprising young lady.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I keep forgetting how much grim and sobering poopcakes goes on all over the bloody place, but the world keeps reminding me.

Good luck with the decidedly unpleasant student situation, JVCC.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm

I count that among the principal reasons I'm glad my students are all between 9 and 12 years old.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby jvcc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

The student didn't show up! This is the first time I've had to deal with something like this, and hopefully it will be the last. More importantly, this semester is almost over.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Dusk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 am

James wrote:This evening I found out that my ex, with whom I split up (as in by whom I was dumped) a little over a year ago, just had a baby. I guess we weren't very serious, and it was never going to last, but it still feels pretty strange. I'm trying to feel good things about it before a stupid spiral of negativity can take hold. It is, after all, a happy event, and I'm pleased for her. But it's so weird, and it makes me wonder things, which is never productive. It also casts an unforgiving light on the lack of motion in my own life.

Have you considered the possibility that you have exceptionally slow sperm?

James wrote:I think a lot of what I found difficult is that while I very much enjoyed our time together (the early stages were among my happiest memories), in retrospect there wasn't a great deal of substance to it. At the time that seemed fine, and it seemed like that's what she wanted at that point, so to find that she's made the huge decision to conceive a child with someone just a few months after our relationship ended is quite humbling. She can't have been with the father of her child much longer than she was with me before conceiving, and already she felt ready to have a child with him!

Not be completely cynical-pants, but it will be interesting to see how long their relationship lasts.

James wrote:Anyway, our relationship really wasn't that big of a thing, so I probably shouldn't pay it any mind, buy I have quite a talent at making all issues secretly be about how awful I am.

James, you are a great person and you will surely find someone else great one day. Just remember that there's no use feeling sad about it if you're not actively pursuing a significant other. You can feel bad about rejections.. you can't feel bad because a sexy dame didn't parachute through your window and throw herself at you. That is the law.
Maybe go somewhere you wouldn't normally go or hang out with people you wouldn't normally hang out with.. become a dice man.. or a Yes Man.. flirt with the girl at the post office. It's all good. /unbiddenadvice

chrismachine wrote:I count that among the principal reasons I'm glad my students are all between 9 and 12 years old.

You are a great man for teaching kids at that age. I think young boys at that age need a positive male influence so much..

I'm drinking Scotch.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EsBe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:58 am

Over the past three weeks I've been sending out a lot of job applications. Some over internet forms, most over email. I was alerted the other day, while looking over someone else's shoulder as they emailed me, that when viewed in Gmail, my fake Google pseudonym and current fake* occupation "smartass" pops up when someone hovers over one of my messages.

I am not sure whether this helps or hinders me. :|

(* Fake in the sense that I don't get paid for it so it can't be called an occupation)
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby James » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Dusk wrote:Have you considered the possibility that you have exceptionally slow sperm?

You take that back. My sperm are like microscopic supermen.

Dusk wrote:Not be completely cynical-pants, but it will be interesting to see how long their relationship lasts.

Who knows, but I genuinely hope it does last. Single parenthood can be really tough on both mother and child.

Dusk wrote:Just remember that there's no use feeling sad about it if you're not actively pursuing a significant other. You can feel bad about rejections.. you can't feel bad because a sexy dame didn't parachute through your window and throw herself at you. That is the law.

How about feeling OK by putting everything out of my mind and carrying on like normal? I'm pretty sure that's a productive course of action.

Dusk wrote:Maybe go somewhere you wouldn't normally go or hang out with people you wouldn't normally hang out with.. become a dice man.. or a Yes Man.. flirt with the girl at the post office.

NO.

Dusk wrote:I'm drinking Scotch.

Good stuff.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above