BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:28 pm

James wrote:Anyway, it's all a bit irrelevant, because there was no way that helpful stranger was going to take a non-posed photo of us without it being at least very weird and probably also incredibly creepy, so whatever.


Probably not, but it'd be interesting to see how far you could push someone who's offered to take a photo of your group. "Yeah, thanks so much! If you could just follow us around for a few minutes, an hour at most, and snap a few candid photos that'd be great."

ntw3001 wrote:I'm in Thailand on my own and I don't know where anything is


If you head north there should be mountains, which are always cool.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby James » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:35 am

jvcc wrote:Probably not, but it'd be interesting to see how far you could push someone who's offered to take a photo of your group. "Yeah, thanks so much! If you could just follow us around for a few minutes, an hour at most, and snap a few candid photos that'd be great."

That would be pretty excellent.
SIGNATURE: GONE
User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
 
Posts: 14869
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: BLURT thread

Postby mulpis » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 pm

James wrote:
jvcc wrote:Probably not, but it'd be interesting to see how far you could push someone who's offered to take a photo of your group. "Yeah, thanks so much! If you could just follow us around for a few minutes, an hour at most, and snap a few candid photos that'd be great."

That would be pretty excellent.


Challenge accepted!
User avatar
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:20 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:56 pm

I almost got the dog I'm dogsitting killed. I was gone for ten minutes and this elderly Cocker Spaniel got up on the couch, into my purse, and ate through a sealed plastic bag to eat some dark chocolate. The local vet was closed, so I took him to the nearest one 45 minutes away (even though the employee I was with on the phone said to take him to the local one in the morning). They treated him and sent us on our way, but when I got back he was panting and restless so I had to drive him back again. He had a heart arrhythmia, which is not good.

They've kept him overnight and I think he's going to be fine. The owners aren't mad either. But I feel awful. In every way. The full of shame way, the not having slept hardly at all way.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby EsBe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:51 pm

jvcc, as it happens I also fell awful, also the not having slept at all way. Mine just happens to be more superficial and selfish, involving accidentally letting myself fall in love with a friend and the jealous shenanigans that resulted. I guess what I'm trying to say is, from one person who lied awake all last night to another, poopcakes sucks but I hope it gets better, be thankful you trusted your instincts and drove him to the vet, and I'm real glad doggy's expected to recover. Cheers. (Here I am bonking a plastic bottle of iced tea against my monitor.)
User avatar
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:18 am
Location: 275ft above sea level

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Dog is back at home! I didn't kill him! I am inexpressibly happy.

EsBe wrote:jvcc, as it happens I also fell awful, also the not having slept at all way. Mine just happens to be more superficial and selfish, involving accidentally letting myself fall in love with a friend and the jealous shenanigans that resulted. I guess what I'm trying to say is, from one person who lied awake all last night to another, poopcakes sucks but I hope it gets better, be thankful you trusted your instincts and drove him to the vet, and I'm real glad doggy's expected to recover. Cheers. (Here I am bonking a plastic bottle of iced tea against my monitor.)


Thank you for your concern and commiseration. Does said friend know about your feelings?
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby EsBe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:43 am

jvcc wrote:Thank you for your concern and commiseration. Does said friend know about your feelings?

Yes and no. We hashed it out over a long night and agreed it wouldn't go anywhere. She knows I'm interested in her, though I elected not to outright drop "oh by the way, I'm also in love with you." Long story short, while it sucks for me it fortunately doesn't deserve a place in the Whine and Complain thread. I just happened to tie my own dumb self into a jealous knot over it.

High fives for the dog too.
User avatar
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:18 am
Location: 275ft above sea level

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:44 pm

In other news, I did the thing of getting drunk and telling everyone I am terrible, which convinced them I think I am terrible! I am not! No human is greater! Now my Chiang Mai peeps suspect I need additional prompting to not be terrible, which is terrible. Being prompted is the worst thing.
User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
 
Posts: 6465
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:08 am

EsBe wrote:
jvcc wrote:Thank you for your concern and commiseration. Does said friend know about your feelings?

Yes and no. We hashed it out over a long night and agreed it wouldn't go anywhere. She knows I'm interested in her, though I elected not to outright drop "oh by the way, I'm also in love with you." Long story short, while it sucks for me it fortunately doesn't deserve a place in the Whine and Complain thread. I just happened to tie my own dumb self into a jealous knot over it.

How are you planning to fall out of love with her?

ntw3001 wrote:In other news, I did the thing of getting drunk and telling everyone I am terrible, which convinced them I think I am terrible! I am not! No human is greater! Now my Chiang Mai peeps suspect I need additional prompting to not be terrible, which is terrible. Being prompted is the worst thing.

But I feel like others don't take the things drunk people say too seriously.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby EsBe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm

jvcc wrote:How are you planning to fall out of love with her?

I'd be lying if I said I planned that far ahead.
User avatar
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:18 am
Location: 275ft above sea level

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:18 pm

EsBe wrote:
jvcc wrote:How are you planning to fall out of love with her?

I'd be lying if I said I planned that far ahead.

Perhaps there's a preferable alternative that you're considering. When my ex broke up with me, I kept myself pretty active: hiking, museum-going, party-attending.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: BLURT thread

Postby James » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 pm

I don't have especially specific experience, but in general I think the idea is to find a way to spend less and less time thinking about that whole business. That may just happen naturally, but it might help to preoccupy yourself with activities, like JVCC suggested, or with other people. I'd imagine it's kind of like moving on from a break-up, but not quite as painful. One day you'll realize you haven't even thought of it for weeks.

At least, that's my guess, but I'm an idiot who's barely lived a life. I've only ever really had to fall out of infatuation.
SIGNATURE: GONE
User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
 
Posts: 14869
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 am

Okay I have been hanging in Thailand for two weeks and I should really try and do some teaching work which is the reason I'm here! This bothersome military coup is making the initial plan of doing sneaky work a non-starter, so I need to find volunteer work or something. But I'm so lazy! I do nothing! Someone ought to fix that.

It probably doesn't help that having a goldurned FAN fanning away all night is making sleep tough. And my earplugs ain't worth poopcakes. And I sure can't sleep without the fan on. In two days I'll move into an apartment with air conditioning. That's gonna be an improvement.
User avatar
ntw3001
Group Captain
 
Posts: 6465
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Essex

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:46 am

James wrote:I don't have especially specific experience, but in general I think the idea is to find a way to spend less and less time thinking about that whole business. That may just happen naturally, but it might help to preoccupy yourself with activities, like JVCC suggested, or with other people. I'd imagine it's kind of like moving on from a break-up, but not quite as painful. One day you'll realize you haven't even thought of it for weeks.

At least, that's my guess, but I'm an idiot who's barely lived a life. I've only ever really had to fall out of infatuation.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was getting at. I also think that love can sometimes take on the color of infatuation once you've fallen out of it, and that we can get ourselves more worked up about our crushes than people we're in real relationships with.

ntw3001 wrote:Okay I have been hanging in Thailand for two weeks and I should really try and do some teaching work which is the reason I'm here! This bothersome military coup is making the initial plan of doing sneaky work a non-starter, so I need to find volunteer work or something. But I'm so lazy! I do nothing! Someone ought to fix that.

It probably doesn't help that having a goldurned FAN fanning away all night is making sleep tough. And my earplugs ain't worth poopcakes. And I sure can't sleep without the fan on. In two days I'll move into an apartment with air conditioning. That's gonna be an improvement.

Even if you can't teach, could you do private tutoring--paid or volunteer? That seems a lot easier to do sneakily.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Previous

Return to None of the Above

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest