BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:16 pm

I Googled it.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm

An interesting aside, here is a neat video about déjà vu. I feel like I've posted it before.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Skimba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:03 am

IanC wrote:Oooooh, bitchy!

EsBe wrote:I always get the second accent of that word wrong.

It's "ch-ie" as in chicken.

And lol jvcc. I like how neither you nor I were actually trying to be bitchy at all.

Sorry - chrism - a new page road blocked any funny I was trying at. I've re-done quotes.
Last edited by Skimba on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby chrismachine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Skimba wrote:

I don't get it...
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm

jvcc wrote:Déjà vu.

I stand by what i said both now and then.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:59 pm

And that is why you stand alone.
chrismachine

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:20 pm

chrismachine wrote:
Skimba wrote:

I don't get it...

bi-tchy
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby jvcc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:13 pm

bɪ́či
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:54 am

on the computer question from misty:

are you using vista or windows 7? what you're describing could be caused by a mis-installed system update. it would be very hard to diagnose without knowing a little more about your system, and even then if it was an update that caused it, you'll probably still need to re-download and apply the update at some point.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby Skimba » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 am

EvilJekyll wrote:
Skimba wrote:

bi-tchy

Maybe that's how it's supposed to break out, but that's not how I say it. It's bit-chy. Anyway, not funny, it didn't come out as planned, tadda, yadda, I'm done.

Peace!
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby EsBe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Skimba wrote:
EvilJekyll wrote:
Skimba wrote:It's "ch-ie" as in chicken.

bi-tchy

Maybe that's how it's supposed to break out, but that's not how I say it. It's bit-chy. Anyway, not funny, it didn't come out as planned, tadda, yadda, I'm done.

Peace!

I must admit that I spent perhaps an embarrassingly long time sounding out Déjà with a "ch" sound for the "j". :)
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby PonderThis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Cheeeeeeee-yit. 8) :n/
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 pm

sum yun gai wrote:on the computer question from misty:

are you using vista or windows 7? what you're describing could be caused by a mis-installed system update. it would be very hard to diagnose without knowing a little more about your system, and even then if it was an update that caused it, you'll probably still need to re-download and apply the update at some point.

It's Vista. I've reinstalled the OS now and everything works fine, but I'm curious to know what exactly causes the whole 'grinding to a halt after a period of being turned off for a while' thing.
MysticalDescent

Postby EsBe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Without knowing a list of the processes that were running at the time it's hard to know. It's possible that a lot of scheduled tasks such as program autoupdates piled up and started running at once, and if either your hard drive or CPU was a bottleneck then it might become barely responsive until it all subsided.

But since we will never know, I shall blame it on gnomes instead.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Zombie Protestor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:43 pm

So, um. I found out today that I came closer than I'd like to scoodlybooping with my sister. No, I am not kidding. Yes, I realize the humor that this is a couple of pages after I just posted the humorous story of the guy who almost did the same.

Back in '01-'02 I had a girlfriend who, after some discussion, I found out was maybe interested in trying a threesome. I've alluded to this in the past on here, but not in depth. The first choice, which was her idea, was to find another woman to join us. She worked at a bookstore, and one of her co-workers she thought was very attractive (as did I), and wanted her to be the one, but never really knew how to bring up the subject. I mean, how would you even start going about something like that? She never got up the courage, and we ended up going with another option.

Fast forward to this year, where that bookstore has long been closed, and I run into the same woman working at a local pet store. I chat with her for a while, she meets my kids, and I think once again that she is kind of pretty, but don't do anything more than some interested conversation, even though I had recently become eligible again.

Today, my dad shows me an email where my sister has been trying to track down someone that her mother (my dad's first wife) had put up for adoption eight months after leaving my dad, and had successfully found her. And, lo and behold, it is her. The co-worker. The one I thought was cute. The one I came close to having the threesome with.

She has agreed to do a DNA/paternity test to determine if she really is my sister. I just feel...relieved I guess is the best word. Relieved that all those years ago my girlfriend never got up the courage.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor

Postby chrismachine » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:37 pm

That is quite the story. Relief is definitely a good word for it. It's not gross to really think about or anything because you had no way of knowing and it never happened, so it's essentially a funny story about not doing strangers. You now have a Grade-A story, good sir!
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:50 pm

It's a tip-top-quality anecdote, but I feel its range is limited. It's unusable in many common situations. Thank God for the internet!
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:29 am

Oh, I moved out of my mom's place into a studio apartment recently. And I'll be teaching a freshman composition class at my university as a graduate assistant. The class that I'm teaching and the classes I'm taking start Monday.

I'm not at all prepared to start pretending to be a grown up again.

EDIT:
The director of the graduate teaching program had everyone (fifty or so people) over to his house last night for an informal get together. When the numbers trickled down to about a dozen he put on his Pink Floyd albums and slightly-drunkenly sang along to "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" before going on a long rant about literary theory.

I'm slightly less nervous about this grown up thing now.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm pretty sure 'grown-ups' never existed. But yes, well done and all of this. I'm about to move back to my parents' place, and if I'm lucky, a decidedly unpleasant job in a care home. Contacts, see.

So are people gonna post in this forum or what
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:56 pm

I dunno about everyone else, but I was waiting for you.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:24 pm

It has no relevance to people not posting, but I noticed while I was away that Vodafone for some reason have this place on their list of things that you cannot access via mobile data unless you go into their shop and ask for them to turn it off, which I haven't bothered doing.
MysticalDescent

Postby jvcc » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 pm

My first day of teaching was pretty terrifying. I felt like I rambled a lot. But after a solid half a day of reflection I've decided that people will invariably be bored hearing about syllabuses and that even veteran teachers are nervous on the first day. This conviction will carry me until Wednesday when I teach again, after which I shall assess my performance and revise my mollifying platitudes.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am

It sometimes helps to pretend that, while they understand everything you say, they are 5 years old.
chrismachine

Postby Zombie Protestor » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 am

Had a computer virus tonight, which is odd since I'm usually so careful what I download or view. Regardless, it was some full-screen thing supposedly from the FBI wanting me to pay a $200 fine to unlock my computer since it had "illegal content" on it. Because, you know, the FBI will often warn you and ask for a bribe rather than just show up and seize your computer.

Speaking of 5-year-olds and teaching, my daughter's teacher keeps sending my daughter home with very low behavioral marks but excellent grades. I keep wondering how long this is going to go on until she realizes that my daughter is simply bored with what is being taught. The kid can count to 100 and knows what an octagon and a hexagon is, and her class is doing work like "Color in 7 of these things". I wouldn't say she needs to be moved ahead to 1st grade, as she still needs a lot of coaching on writing legibly and learning when not to use all uppercase, but she does seem rather ahead.
Zombie Protestor

Postby jvcc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:51 am

Zombie Protestor wrote:Speaking of 5-year-olds and teaching, my daughter's teacher keeps sending my daughter home with very low behavioral marks but excellent grades. I keep wondering how long this is going to go on until she realizes that my daughter is simply bored with what is being taught. The kid can count to 100 and knows what an octagon and a hexagon is, and her class is doing work like "Color in 7 of these things". I wouldn't say she needs to be moved ahead to 1st grade, as she still needs a lot of coaching on writing legibly and learning when not to use all uppercase, but she does seem rather ahead.

My brother had the same problem with public school. In Kindergarten his teacher suggested he get testing because she thought he was slow, and he ended up scoring in the genius range on an IQ test (not that IQ tests are definitive, but it certainly shut her up).

Neither of these options if very time or cost effective, but Montessori schools or homeschooling based on a Montessori model are good for gifted children. My mom homeschooled my brother and I according to a Montessori model, so we got to learn the basics and further pursue the areas that interested us. Working in childcare I've also come into contact with kids who go to Montessori schools and I've noticed that they tend to be very well-rounded. I could go on an extended rant about various teaching models and pedagogies.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above