BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: BLURT thread

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Adventure Time good, My Little Pony meh also good. It is about some colourful ponies who are friends even though they are different. Any complexity is in the brains of those who want to congratulate themselves for seeing 'hidden depths'. It's a well-produced children's show, which is fairly pleasant viewing for adults as well. Like uh, a saccharine Animaniacs (not actually similar to Animaniacs in any other sense).
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 am

Adventure time == AWESOME! My Little Pony I just don't get. After LT admitted to "broneydom" I checked it out but it's not really for me. Oh well, each to his own and all that.

Meanwhile I was just reading that the temperature in Colorado dropped from 71F/22C yesterday afternoon to 16F/-9C degrees this morning with a wind chill of 1F/-17C. Daaaaaammmmmmn. I bet Skimba's really enjoying her commute into work this morning. That same front is due to hit us here in Dallas tonight but we aren't looking at nearly that kind of temperature drop. Thanks for taking one for the team, Skimbers!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby chrismachine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Yeah, it was 13C today, will be 12C tomorrow, but 0 or -1 Friday and 10cm of snow potentially. I am ready for a more lasting spring now.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:49 pm

My mom's doctor thinks she has lupus now, too. Which is...not great.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 pm

PonderThis wrote:Adventure time == AWESOME! My Little Pony I just don't get. After LT admitted to "broneydom" I checked it out but it's not really for me. Oh well, each to his own and all that.

Meanwhile I was just reading that the temperature in Colorado dropped from 71F/22C yesterday afternoon to 16F/-9C degrees this morning with a wind chill of 1F/-17C. Daaaaaammmmmmn. I bet Skimba's really enjoying her commute into work this morning. That same front is due to hit us here in Dallas tonight but we aren't looking at nearly that kind of temperature drop. Thanks for taking one for the team, Skimbers!

No problem. I'd like to thank Canada for making it all possible.
Same goes for this week, except the tempurature drop wasn't as drastic, but the snow was wetter. I miss spring.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby chrismachine » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Ended up having a snow day (buses cancelled at school) and a good 15 cm of the stuff. Since then though it has gradually warmed up and rained enough to remove it as of yesterday in most places.
chrismachine

Postby jvcc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:21 am

I sang karaoke for the first time tonight! Alcohol was a contributing factor, obviously. I did "Lust for Life" and "Ziggy Stardust," both as duets with my friend. Good fun.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 am

I will post some art as soon as I either: figure out how to get Photobucket to cooperate with me...or else find another host for photos.
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:44 am

Yay!!! 8)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm

I have a computer problem that I don't know how to solve.

My ever problematic computer is now complaining of a corrupt harddrive. If I turn it on, it boots up slowly, gets past the Vista loading screen, says it wants to do a disk check, finds some corrupted segments very slowly, gives up the disk check, goes to the welcome screen, stays there for a long period of time, blue screens and instantly reboots. It will then follow this cycle again. I've got a recovery disk that I've used successfully before, but it won't even boot off that now. Instead, it just tries to start Windows as normal and goes through the above sequence. I have been able to start it in safe mode before, but that tends to completely crash and lock up after about half an hour. In fact, I tried to start it in safe mode about an hour and a bit ago and it still says it's loading Windows files, so I may not even be able to do that any more. I've tried a couple of things suggested on the internet for fixing it, such as running chkdsk on start up, but to no avail.

I'm not entirely fussed about saving the machine (I don't use it that much anymore), but I did use it as my main computer for a few years and there are some files that I'd quite like to retrieve from there if at all possible. I don't suppose anybody has any ideas about that?
MysticalDescent

Postby EsBe » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Take out the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure. Get the data onto a working computer, the sooner the better.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby PonderThis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 pm

EsBe wrote:Take out the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure. Get the data onto a working computer, the sooner the better.

Yeah, what he said. Or if you're the build-it-yourself type (like I am), build a new computer and after you're sure it's working put the undependable drive in as a secondary drive and then copy everything off of it.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby James » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 am

Absolutely what those guys said. Everyone should be keeping backups anyway, of course, but as soon as a hard disk starts showing signs of failure it's time to make absolutely sure you have everything you need elsewhere, because it's only going to get worse.

Anyway, if you do want to rescue the rest of the PC, installing a new hard drive probably should do it. Not very involved advice, I know, but I know from experience that it's really not worth trying to drag out the lives of hard disks.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll get that done over the weekend.
MysticalDescent

Postby jvcc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm in Minnesota today. And will be for other days as well. My mom is going to Mayo clinic to get some tests done, and we decided to make it into a sort of mini-vacation. So, hopefully the doctors can give her some good news. We'll see.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am

Hey I'm gonna be in Minneapolis for a couple of days about a month from now.

COINCIDENCE? :n/ Well, yeah.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby jvcc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 pm

I went to Minneapolis on...Sunday? It was an awesome city. So is Rochester. I kinda hope I can find a job around here after I graduate in four to five years.

Quick my-mom's-health update: Mayo has confirmed that her disease is incurable. Some of her doctors gave her the same diagnosis back home, but others disagreed. Hence our coming here. It's what I expected, and she seems to be taking it well.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 pm

jvcc wrote:I went to Minneapolis on...Sunday? It was an awesome city. So is Rochester. I kinda hope I can find a job around here after I graduate in four to five years.

Quick my-mom's-health update: Mayo has confirmed that her disease is incurable. Some of her doctors gave her the same diagnosis back home, but others disagreed. Hence our coming here. It's what I expected, and she seems to be taking it well.

That is incredibly crappy, I'm sorry to hear that. If at any time you feel that a poorly drawn comic will help tangibly, I am at your disposal.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby jvcc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:15 am

EsBe wrote:If at any time you feel that a poorly drawn comic will help tangibly, I am at your disposal.

It couldn't hurt.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:01 pm

That is definitely news of the sucky variety. Sorry to hear that for sure.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:41 am

That is bad news. Sympathies.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

sorry to hear that about your mom.... :(
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby jvcc » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 pm

She'll be okay. Well, relatively. She'll end up in a wheelchair eventually and lose motor function in her hands, but the disease isn't lethal (unless there are complications). What she has is similar to ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), except it progresses less quickly and has no respiratory component.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that.
MysticalDescent

Postby PonderThis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Ugggh I keep meaning to draw a cartoon or something but I've just been so busy. In mid-July I'm taking off on a family genealogy with the parents up to Wisconsin and mebbe Quebec if time permits. So I've decided I'm not only going to clean house but also get some new furniture because the old living room sofa I have right now ... well, let's say homeless people would look at it and probably say "no thanks". So I've been cleaning up the living room, getting rid of a lot of old crap. This morning I filled up a 30 gallon trash bag with old VCR tapes filled with assorted TV shows from the 90s, 90% of which I later got on DVD and the rest I don't care about. Also threw out this old ... piece of furniture. It's this sort of modular box thing. Aside from the laminate I've seen better built freight boxes. But anyway, it's gone. But with that I've finally reached the point, after a couple of weeks of cleaning poopcakes out of there, to go shop for new furniture. WoooOOOoOO!
PonderThis
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above