BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Dusk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am

James wrote:
Dusk wrote:I'm drinking Scotch.

Good stuff.

I'm still drinking Scotch.. and I'm sorry that decidedly unpleasant things happened to you. It's not because of the person you are. It's because poopcakes happens, regardless.
We have a girl from Virginia working with us at the moment. She said "irregardless" yesterday and I nearly drove a pen through her eye.
My point is: don't feel down on yourself for having feelings, or "feels" about the situation - to use the parlance of our times.
You know.. It builds character and whatnot.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby IanC » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:59 pm

We sell a selection of Eastern European food at work, and i bought some Polish cherry flavoured jaffa cakes and they are very nommy.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:59 am

Dusk wrote:I'm still drinking Scotch.. and I'm sorry that decidedly unpleasant things happened to you.

I generally feel pretty OK about things by now. Don't worry about me.

Also, I like to imagine you've been drinking scotch continuously since your last post. Because that degree of combined alcoholism and insomnia is most amusing.

Also, thanks.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm not sure on the appropriate thread for this but when in doubt, put it on the BLURT thread.

I recently had to submit a paper for a conference. One of the requirements for submission was that the paper had to be in pdf format, but they had two very specific procedures for doing that, one for Word users and one for LaTeX (is that right? I can never remember which bits to capitalise) users. Since I put mine together in Word, I'll stick to that. You had to print the document to file - a function that I didn't know actually existed - in postscript format, then use Adobe Distiller to convert that postscript file into pdf format.

It just seemed a strange way of doing things, which led me to wonder why, when there are other, more obvious options, would they want it done that way in particular? Is there an advantage to doing it that way that you can't get by, say, using Word to convert it straight to a pdf document?

Bonus CHALLENGE: Spot the poster who left submission to the last minute before spotting the required format.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:00 pm

i'm pretty sure Word does not have a built-in PDF conversion filter. That way you can buy Acrobat for $700 rather than make life simpler for everyone who already paid several hundred for a (legal) copy of MS Office. i actually use CutePDF which works similarly to the AdobePDF printer, but is free.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby Null » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I don't know why they'd want it in that particular format. Ask someone who may know why they want you to spend money on an Adobe product when there are free alternatives.

It may be that Distiller has some kind of watermarking function that helps them know if a document has been tampered with, before or after it's submitted. As SYG noted, CutePDF will do this, and there are a lot of other free print-to-PDF programs out there. On occasion Giveawayoftheday features some of the middle-level ones for free.
Null

Postby James » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Generally the reason to ask for something as a PDF is to ensure consistent presentation; you don't have to worry about fonts or different versions rendering things differently or whatever.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby IanC » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Well ive been at my actual store for a few weeks now (previously i was at another store while we were waiting for our one to open), and ive been enjoying it! Its kinda tough since im mostly doing closing shifts, but i dont mind the lates.

Anyway we all got a christmas present from the manager, with a bottle of wine and some chocolates.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Employment and free wine? Not too shabby.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Null » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:59 pm

James wrote:Generally the reason to ask for something as a PDF is to ensure consistent presentation; you don't have to worry about fonts or different versions rendering things differently or whatever.

I don't think the question was "Why do I have to use PDF" so much as "Why do I have to create the PDF using these particular steps, when I can create a PDF using free software." But I admit I read the question pretty carelessly.
Null

Postby James » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I was responding to your comment, "I don't know why they'd want it in that particular format"; I took that to mean file format. Their asking for people to use a specific method to produce the file is a bit strange, but it could again be an attempt to avoid formatting problems by prescribing a tried and tested method; they know (or at least believe) that producing the PDF in those two methods produces predictable results, so that's what they're sticking with. As for the free-ness of Adobe Distiller, perhaps the university has a site licence or something.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Well, if you didn't have access to Distiller they said they'd quite happily receive the Post Script file instead, so I don't think they were trying to push people into using that software. I was curious about why they wanted those specific steps to be taken, but I suppose that if it's just a case of them sticking to what works then that may be all there is to it. I thought there might have been some specific advantage to doing it that way.
MysticalDescent

Postby IanC » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:57 pm

So that valentines card I got? No idea who from. It isn't who I thought, and no one else seems to know.

So that means its either a customer, which is weird and creepy, someone else at work that im around so often (likely, I guess?), someone who knows me elsewhere and knows where I work (???), someone playing a really cruel joke or someone taking pity on me.

I honestly have no clue. But I think its one of the last two because, well honestly, who would seriously want to have me as thier valentine?
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:45 am

Maybe that girl would... did you send her a card? :)
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 am

Well i got her some chocolate for it, but i thought buying a card would be too creepy.

Just wish i could work out who bought it. As long as it wasn't THAT creepy old polish dude that kissed my hand. rickin'-frackin' creep.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:48 pm

So theres another girl at work. We get on really well, flirt up a storm with each other and our talk often turns sexual...

So, err, what the fork should i do?

Gahhhhhh (and still no idea who that rickin'-frackin' card was from BTFW)
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:39 am

IanC wrote:So theres another girl at work. We get on really well, flirt up a storm with each other and our talk often turns sexual...

brush up on your local sexual harassment laws to make sure you aren't crossing any boundaries that should not be crossed? after that, you should probably buck up enough courage to actually invite her on a date or some poopcakes

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby IanC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:00 pm

sum yun gai wrote:
IanC wrote:So theres another girl at work. We get on really well, flirt up a storm with each other and our talk often turns sexual...

brush up on your local sexual harassment laws to make sure you aren't crossing any boundaries that should not be crossed? after that, you should probably buck up enough courage to actually invite her on a date or some poopcakes

Well, er, she's the one starting most of the sexual talk so.. but i don't know, maybe i should try and buck up the courage. Hell it would stop my moaning about lack of relationship, etc!
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Well, poopcakes.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:58 pm

I assume it didn't go as hoped? That's a shame, but on the plus side it means she likely will know what lines not to cross in future to keep things strictly professional if that's what she's looking for.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Nah it was nothing to do with her (tbh i still havcent asked her) Just something else. Cant be arsed to go into it now though.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:00 pm

So guys, does anyone on here have any experience in online dating sites? Just wondering, for a friend, you know?
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EsBe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 pm

IanC wrote:So guys, does anyone on here have any experience in online dating sites? Just wondering, for a friend, you know?

I once got some advice from a friend about navigating online dating sites. The advice was "avoid being a woman on one." Um... that probably doesn't apply to you, though, sorry. :?
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby mulpis » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:10 am

In my experience, paid dating sites truly are a million times better than free ones. I actually have a cute story about this. My friend and her sister were both on OKCupid (free site) for a year, and they both went out with a string of weirdos- not one single date with any potential wharsoever.. The younger sister got fed up and signed up for Match (paid site) and paid for a six month membership. Within the first month she met someone great and after a while, they were a couple. So now the younger sister still had, like, four months paid up on Match that she wasn't using. So she gave her login and password to the older sister, who changed the profile to reflect HER, and by the time the subscription ran out, she was in a relationship, too. The younger sister actually just got engaged.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 am

i will second what mulpis said: go for a site which has a subscription service. my personal experience (see what i did there?) with online dating is that there are a *LOT* of strange, flaky people who come from the internet. by paying for the dating service, you are weeding out the people who are more serious about the dating experience rather than just wanting to "see what happens".

sum yun gai

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above