Cultural Differences

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Cultural Differences

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:52 pm

dang it, I need to read my posts before I submit them.

I love fanciful plurals.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Nyperold » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 pm

ntw3001 wrote:
jvcc wrote:starring

PonderThis wrote:Maybe the fox in question was a Hollywood agent and jvcc was imagining starring in a big budget movie or a TV show or something.

Well, they are always concerned about the fox office...

ntw3001 wrote:What is the plural of sphinx?

PonderThis wrote:There is no plural. There is only one Sphinx.

Aw, that sphinx.

Actually, it looks like there were a whole lot of them, unless the photographs on Wikipedia were made up.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby mrgazpacho » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 am

ntw3001 wrote:it's specifically used to describe commodity unix hardware

Well, it is - but only in the sense that one UNIX machine is a box, so several are boxen - which just gets back to the original meaning.
--
Chris

bottlecap wrote:I give this cartoon special boner happy prize.
mrgazpacho
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby PonderThis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:45 am

Nyperold wrote:
PonderThis wrote:There is no plural. There is only one Sphinx.

Aw, that sphinx.

Actually, it looks like there were a whole lot of them, unless the photographs on Wikipedia were made up.

Admit it. You made a time machine and traveled back to Ancient Egypt just to ruin my joke. :P
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Nyperold » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah, I ruined your joke THROUGH TIME.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Nyperold wrote:Actually, it looks like there were a whole lot of them, unless the photographs on Wikipedia were made up.

I'm not going to look at the Wikipedia article because I prefer to assume that you saw a bunch of photos of sphinges in ancient Egypt and thought 'well boy howdy, are these genuine?'.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:20 pm

ntw3001 wrote:... sphinges ...
Are those a type of bearing that connects two solid objects, typically allowing only a limited angle of rotation between them and are shaped like a cat? :mrgreen:
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby jvcc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm bringing this thread back because if we don't have many specific threads then everything just ends up being posted in the Blurt thread and I won't have it.

So I have two questions:
1) Does "stroke" refer to this symbol: / in the UK? In the US I think it's referred to pretty exclusively as a "slash", but on "Who Do You Think You Are" David Mitchell definitely said that when he was little he wanted to be a "nobleman stroke king figure". Which leads me to my next question...
2) Is it fairly common for children in the UK, or maybe more specifically England, to be interested in king and knight figures? I thought back to my childhood and I don't remember either myself or my brother being particularly fascinated by knights. We liked Ivanhoe, but generally our play was centered around cowboys vs. "Indians", or the U.S. Civil War. Which brings me to my sub-question...
    a. Do children in the UK incorporate cowboys vs. "Indians" into their play with any regularity? I wouldn't assume so, but I do know that after WWII when the US had a considerable economic and political advantage over other countries that our cinema worked as a major exporter of our culture and ideals. I'm not sure when the heyday of cowboy movies was, but I'll assume somewhere around the 50s.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:59 am

Up in Canada we had cops and robbers mostly, but also some of the cowboys and indians (in fact local French dialect I grew up with for sitting cross-legged was "`a l'indien" when I was in grade school) as well as sword fights, but they were pretty generic as the fascination was less with the people and more with the weapons. We specifically teach a big unit on it (knights and the medieval period in relation to our own) in Ontario as part of the grade 4 curriculum, so I know kids are exposed to it in a significant way at 9.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 am

Yeah, we call sitting cross-legged sitting "Indian-style" here. I played cops and robbers, too, but not a whole lot.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Binkatron5000 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:57 am

jvcc wrote:David Mitchell definitely said that when he was little he wanted to be a "nobleman stroke king figure".

So he wants to stroke some noblemen, nothing wrong with that I say! ;)
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 am

ntw3001 wrote:
Nyperold wrote:Actually, it looks like there were a whole lot of them, unless the photographs on Wikipedia were made up.

I'm not going to look at the Wikipedia article because I prefer to assume that you saw a bunch of photos of sphinges in ancient Egypt and thought 'well boy howdy, are these genuine?'.

I saw this post and thought I should point out that I meant, like, live sphinges. Very funny.

Now, knights/cops/robbers/cowboys/indians. I don't think there's a lot of 'playing knights' around here; there certainly wasn't for me. But then, when I was small we didn't deal heavily in the 'imagine you are this thing' games. Our games were primarily focused around running and manipulating objects. For knights, I don't think it's really very compelling to play as them because there isn't much of an opposing side. 'Cowboys and indians' has more SPING to it than 'Knights and Knights'. But yeah, as far as I can recall there just wasn't much of a fashion for games of communal make-believe. I was aware of the concept of cowboys and indians, but wasn't entirely sure which part of it might have been fun.

And as for aspirations to be knights and noblemen: Not really, David Mitchell's a peculiar fellow. I think sportsmen are the people to be. For chicks, who knows?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:06 pm

jvcc wrote:I'm bringing this thread back because if we don't have many specific threads then everything just ends up being posted in the Blurt thread and I won't have it.

So I have two questions:
1) Does "stroke" refer to this symbol: / in the UK? In the US I think it's referred to pretty exclusively as a "slash", but on "Who Do You Think You Are" David Mitchell definitely said that when he was little he wanted to be a "nobleman stroke king figure". Which leads me to my next question...
2) Is it fairly common for children in the UK, or maybe more specifically England, to be interested in king and knight figures? I thought back to my childhood and I don't remember either myself or my brother being particularly fascinated by knights. We liked Ivanhoe, but generally our play was centered around cowboys vs. "Indians", or the U.S. Civil War. Which brings me to my sub-question...
    a. Do children in the UK incorporate cowboys vs. "Indians" into their play with any regularity? I wouldn't assume so, but I do know that after WWII when the US had a considerable economic and political advantage over other countries that our cinema worked as a major exporter of our culture and ideals. I'm not sure when the heyday of cowboy movies was, but I'll assume somewhere around the 50s.

To the best of my knowledge:

1) It's a forward slash, but yeah, I've heard it used as stroke before when suggesting that something can be one of two possible options. It's both, basically.

2) Hell yes. I had a little wooden castle with metal figures of knights on horseback, pikemen, archers, people with swords and all sorts. Robin Hood stuff as well. I can remember having my own Roman shield and some sort of Anglo-Saxon helmet as well (the plastic sort, not the Staffordshire Hoard sort)

a) Not really. I did have a Fisher Price playset that was based in the Wild West though. They even did a computer game of it, which I also had. Now I think about it, there was an awful lot of fisher price stuff - I had two of their castles (This is one of them, they're done have a picture of the other), a Robin Hood forest and something else. Come to think of it, there was a pirate ship and an island relating to that. Fisher Price did some wonderful stuff and I think I've got all of it in my loft somewhere. Sorry if this sounds a bit sporadic, but I haven't really planned out this post, this is the process of my memory. I may have gone off topic, but I'm certainly far happier for remembering all that.
MysticalDescent

Postby jvcc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:06 pm

I had that castle and pirate ship, too!! I loved them. :D
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 pm

The first time I went to India I asked my Mom where all the cowboys were.

I used to play with the Lego knight/castle sets a lot.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:43 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:The first time I went to India I asked my Mom where all the cowboys were.

Aw.

At my work a while back a little Egyptian boy was making something of clay and when I asked what it was I thought his response was "an Indian." I explained that they're called Native Americans, and he said, "Yeah, they're green and live in the sky," at which point I realized that he had said it was an "alien."
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby giantsfan97 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:47 pm

jvcc wrote:
giantsfan97 wrote:The first time I went to India I asked my Mom where all the cowboys were.

Aw.

I WAS 22 :cry:
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:40 am

ha, very nice.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Skimba » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 am

giantsfan97 wrote:
jvcc wrote:

Aw.

I WAS 22 :cry:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
giantsfan97 wrote:I used to play with the Lego knight/castle sets a lot.

Me too. But then again, I've always had a fascination with Knights/Dragons/Fantasy/King Arthur Legend/etc.
Still do!
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:39 am

Aside from wars and battles and things, I was mostly interested in studying animals and creating art. I spent countless hours playing with Playdoh and Silly Putty.

Ooh, because I was homeschooled my mom encouraged my brother and I to make up our own extra credit activities, so I made a series of fairly complex dioramas of ancient civilizations out of modeling clay. I think I did a Mayan temple and some Roman structures, among others that I can't recall. It's nice that I had a childhood where learning was fun and independent.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 am

MysticalDescent wrote:It's a forward slash

The phrase "forward slash" is a neologism to distinguish the standard slash from the backslash, which pretty much has no grammatical meaning, and is used almost exclusively in computing. It probably would have remained a fairly obscure to non-programmers were it not for the fact that Microsoft decided to use the slash instead of the hyphen to introduce arguments in the early days of DOS before they had the directory structure as it is today. Once they did introduce it, since the slash character was already used they had to use another character, so they opted for the backslash. Were it not for that, most people would probably never hear the term "backslash", and when the Internet came around some people would get confused and use backslashes in URLs, so people started saying "forward slash" to compensate. Now I think it's pretty unnecessary, as people type far more URLs than local paths, so should really know what to use. Just call it a slash. Or a stroke. Or, if you want to be fancy, an oblique.

I think I used to play knights and knights with my friend Daniel, because he was pretty into history. Some other kids had wooden swords and shields, but I never did, which, like my failure to own a billion Lego men was a source of great disappointment to me. I don't know how much of it was to do with actual knights rather than vessels for swords, but the same could be said for cowboys and Indians, I think. I was certainly more into the former, and used to like drawing knight chopping each others' arms off and shooting immense funnels of blood from the associated wounds.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Sounds like they were just flesh wounds.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:40 pm

I've usually heard "stroke" as a term for "-" as part of a reference to a document number, but only in older movies or TV shows. For example,
"fill out document X85-9," where it is pronounced, "ecks ate five stroke nine."
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Dusk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 am

I used to play with the Lego knight/castle sets a lot.

Awesome.
I had knights Lego and the red knight was the best because he would win the jousts and expose the black knight as being the princess' betrothed, but I never had enough 2-dot grey blocks for my castle.
Sorry for making you look at Jimmy Wales again, but Crossbows & Catapults was quite popular for a while there.
We played Star Wars a lot. I was often Han. I remember, once, we made John be Princess Leia and he cried at the injustice of it all.
I seem to remember a Cowboys and Indians era, but as you can probably appreciate, it was EONS ago. We mostly stuck to the cartoons of the time. Lots of Battle Of The Planets and Tranformers and Voltron, perhaps even a little Dick Turpin.

jvcc wrote:1) Does "stroke" refer to this symbol: / in the UK? In the US I think it's referred to pretty exclusively as a "slash", but on "Who Do You Think You Are" David Mitchell definitely said that when he was little he wanted to be a "nobleman stroke king figure". Which leads me to my next question...

No, I think he literally had a stroke while he was talking. Did half of his face fall?
But seriously, yes and for "-". In olden times more than now. Other people have said this and my addition proves it beyond doubt.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:31 am

I remember playing Battle of the Planets with my siblings.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above