Cultural Differences

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Re: Cultural Differences

Postby EsBe » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:51 pm

You lost me at "Black Friday makes sense in America".

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:53 pm

The chief marketing man for Asda actually stated in the Telegraph: 'It is relevant'. I did mention it on Facebook but I'm mentioning it here too cuz it's uh relevant. As in, it pertains to the subject matter. Not as in it is a sale marking the day following a celebration which is not celebrated in this country. Next up, Boxing Day sales in Syria.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 am

They brought it to Canada last year, but it was largely justified as an attempt to keep Canadians on our side of the border to make their purchases, which at least makes some sense. The deals were pitiful last year though, to the extent that they did a big poll and 50% of people asked said they intended to buy something at a black Friday sale in Canada. A subsequent poll of just people who went shopping black Friday showed that only 26% actually did. This year they kicked the ads into high gear, and some of the sales seemed decent. I picked these up, for instance.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/mon ... ageIndex=1

My last pair finally broke when my dog jumped on me last month. When I bought them, it was at the Sony store (!!) and they were next to a display counter full of mini-disc players (!!!).
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:20 pm

MysticalDescent wrote: Is it the special 'last Friday in November sale day'? I guess it's something like the retailers worrying about being undercut by Amazon, which cuts prices for Black Friday anyway.

it is actually the "day after the fourth thursday in november when everyone is off from work just because" sale day.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:14 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:Black Friday makes sense in America. It's not exactly my bag, exactly - I spend more time working out how to avoid shopping than I spend actually shopping - but I can at least see how it makes sense that it is a thing that exists immediately following Thanksgiving.

It only makes sense for the US insofar as all our holidays are centered around purchasing commercial goods. I spend all my Black Fridays holed up in my house eating Thanksgiving leftovers, assiduously avoiding stores and other people. I hope it doesn't become a thing in your country.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Yeah I definitely bought my headphones online. It still seems things were way more subdued here than in the States, but I mean it's not a day off or anything and the better prices aren't too far for people willing to take the day off anyway, so I guess they mostly just travel.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

Return to “None of the Above”