Movie log thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Movie log thread

Postby IanC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 pm

I saw Prometheus today, which i really enjoyed a lot. Loved the connections to the Alien series.

Also watched The Avengers the other week (the Marvel one, duh) whcih was fandabadozzie. Aside from that death. YOU KNOW the one. Why :(
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:04 am

IanC wrote:Aside from that death. YOU KNOW the one. Why :(

Two words, and they rhyme with "moss" and "Sweden".

I ended up watching Pootie Tang on netflix, just because. It's pretty much a mess, but I can tell how it got somewhat of a cult following, because there are some great absurd gags. And in general I sort of like watching movies that make you wonder "how the hell did someone convince a major movie studio to put money behind this?".
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 pm

So this one guy has been convinced to direct the WoW film, and now everyone is saying Source Code was good. I don't remember any particular critical backlash, but the only thing I ever heard about it outside the cinema was 'we are going to watch a film called Source Code at the cinema tonight'. I watched it (the very same night), and thought it was quite bad, and assumed it hadn't managed to rise into the public eye or endear itself particularly to anyone. Now I have seen in multiple places that other people thought it was very good! wuh
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EsBe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 pm

All I previously knew about the movie "Source Code" was that, based on the trailers I saw, it seemed like an interesting premise, and it seemed terribly mis-named. Now, after IMDBing it and reading the entire summary, I still think it's a stupid, misleading name (why would ANYONE name their program "Source Code"? Like a bakery naming their cake "Flour, Eggs, & Butter" Maybe Valve was the defense contractor who built it...), but beyond that it still sounds like a rather interesting flick.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm

I saw The Looper. It's good for people who like to pick holes in films. The premise makes no sense, and there are shapes, sounds and colours to keep the viewer amused. Bruce Willis is in it, firing a gun.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:57 pm

I saw "Warm Bodies" on Saturday. It was a fun movie.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby James » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:26 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I saw The Looper. It's good for people who like to pick holes in films. The premise makes no sense, and there are shapes, sounds and colours to keep the viewer amused. Bruce Willis is in it, firing a gun.

While there were certainly holes, that film had more interesting ideas and a better sense of direction than I expected.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Skimba wrote:I saw "Warm Bodies" on Saturday. It was a fun movie.

I saw that with my friend and terrified some middle-schoolers in the process. They were being loud during the previews, and kept talking for about five minutes into the beginning of the film. At that point I said to my friend, loud enough for others to hear, "I hope the kids behind us know that talking time is over now that the movie's started." Then I lent my arm on the back of my seat, turned my head, and stared until the kid talking acknowledged me. This did not occur until his friend began tugging violently at his sleeve. I then smiled, waved, and put my finger to my mouth in a "Shh!" gesture.

Complete silence for the rest of the movie.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:48 pm

I saw Django Unchained last night. I considered it to be ace as hell! Why was that cart-horse apparently trained in dressage? Who knows. Those wacky Australians.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:04 pm

So like here's a trailer.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 pm

I saw Trance and it was, on the whole, rather disappointing. It started off quite well and promised a lot, but then it just began to really, really drag on, to the point where I found myself waiting for it to finish.

At the end of the film I came out of the cinema and compared the film to Inception, because I thought that the people responsible for Trance would get quite annoyed by people doing that.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Fri May 24, 2013 12:27 am

Bully. The recent documentary, not the not-very-recent not-documentary. I need to stop watching movies when I'm in a distractable mood, especially documentaries. Pretty depressing, but the ending is at least kind of uplifting in that it at least shows that there are some parents and students who realize something can and should be done about bullying.

Before that, it was Re-Animator, at a special theater showing - I'd seen it before, but it was especially fun to see in this setting. Aside from seeing the gore and whatnot on the big screen, there was just something about having an audience to share laughter and grossed-out-ness with.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby IanC » Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Ive read the original short story by H. P> Lovecraft that Re-Animator is based on. I get a feeling the film must be very different.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Null » Fri May 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Actually, "Herbert West, Re-Animator" is written in Lovecraft's typical prose and contains no humor, but it's surprising how events in the two parallel each other.
Null

Postby IanC » Fri May 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Im guessing the film didnt have that vague uneasy feeling of racism that Lovecraft's works usually have (which cant be helped due to the time period, i know. But seeing one of the stories had a cat called "Nigger-man" does feel uncomfortable)
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Thu May 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Yeah, I actually read the story itself recently - basically the difference is that the movie has an actual over-arching plot, while the story was pretty episodic in nature, but a lot of elements carry over. Also, I feel like the story had just the very slightest bit of extremely dry dark humor to it, but maybe seeing the movie first colored my perception there? Also, the story does have one of Lovecraft's more blatantly racist moments, in that the corpse of a black boxer is basically compared to an ape.

Recently seen:

Robot & Frank. Man, I didn't think a movie about an old guy and a robot committing robbery would make me so sad.

John Dies At The End. I've never read the book, but I came in with no particular expectations and found it a fun, quirky little horror comedy.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby jvcc » Fri May 31, 2013 4:05 am

quetzalcoatlus wrote:John Dies At The End. I've never read the book, but I came in with no particular expectations and found it a fun, quirky little horror comedy.

That's good to hear, because I really, really liked that book.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby IanC » Fri May 31, 2013 12:33 pm

quetzalcoatlus wrote:Yeah, I actually read the story itself recently - basically the difference is that the movie has an actual over-arching plot, while the story was pretty episodic in nature, but a lot of elements carry over. Also, I feel like the story had just the very slightest bit of extremely dry dark humor to it, but maybe seeing the movie first colored my perception there? Also, the story does have one of Lovecraft's more blatantly racist moments, in that the corpse of a black boxer is basically compared to an ape.

Its very dry, but there is some dark humour there. IIRC, it originally appeared in a humour magazine. Which must of shocked the readers.

And yeah, the corpse/ape thing is very obvious. Of course another story had a cat called "Nigger-man" in it.... and the "degenerates" in the Innsmouth story can be considered an analogy (right term?) for race.

This is getting off topic though. :mrgreen: but it is H.P. LOVECRAFT! :D
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 pm

So, a couple of things I watched recently: Up and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. Enjoyed both.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:37 pm

UP! is definitely a classic film.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Dusk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

Ben Affleck.

Ben goddam Affleck.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Dusk wrote:Ben Affleck.

Ben goddam Affleck.

That's what's been going through my head on and off since I heard this morning. What the daredevil fork?
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:27 pm

chrismachine wrote:UP! is definitely a classic film.

I really liked it. I must say though, after about twenty minutes I was thinking, 'is this really a film for kids?', purely because it really is a very sad opening couple of scenes.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Yeah, it got me for sure.

Also, I don't think batman will be so bad, as those movies aren't really about quality acting from batman anyway. Besides, he can capably do serious stuff too.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Dusk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:41 am

chrismachine wrote:Also, I don't think batman will be so bad, as those movies aren't really about quality acting from batman anyway. Besides, he can capably do serious stuff too.

Yeah I agree with you to an extent.. It's just that.. they can mess with pretty much whatever they want. I wasn't even too upset with the Transformers debacle.
But don't take a dump on Batman.

Also, Up was incredibly depressing. I've found that, since becoming a parent, I'm a lot more prone to sudden attacks of emotion when watching certain movies, or reading certain books. Strange.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above