Movie log thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Movie log thread

Postby chrismachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 pm

I am the same way. I watched some airline commercial about an Indian mom whose child left for the states like 15 years prior and hadn't been back since, and she was supposed to send him her food in a seat on a plane as the airlines promotion, but then the delivery guy they sent to pick up her food was her son... They didn't even show her reaction you just got to hear it, and I went all damp-eyed. I think actually it was likely because I didn't see it, it was way more impactful that way than I imagine it would have been. In any event, that would have been somewhat unlikely to "get me" like that at 17.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Dusk wrote:But don't take a dump on Batman.

Good rule.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:57 pm

ntw3001 wrote:
Dusk wrote:But don't take a dump on Batman.

Good rule.

:lol:

The last two movies I watched were One Missed Call... and One Missed Call. See, I watched the original Japanese movie, then the American remake. It's kind of weird that if there's a movie I love, I will avoid a purportedly bad remake like the plague, but if there's an older movie I want to see, I'll automatically want to watch any recent remakes as well, no matter how bad it's supposed to be; I just like comparing stuff I guess. The original is fairly scary despite the semi-ridiculous "killer cell-phone-using ghost" premise, while the remake is just kind of silly. But some points go to the remake for casting Ray Wise as the opportunistic director of a religious program and giving him the pretty funny line "Make sure Jesus is centered!".
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby IanC » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness today and really enjoyed it. Some thoughts in small text -
So is it just me that thinks Kahn isnt really the main bad guy? I mean yeah, hes a nasty guy, making a Starfleet worker blow up a building in London for example, but really Admiral Marcus was the main one, trying to use Kahn's "family" as a chip to force him into making the Klingons go to war with Earth.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Null » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:32 am

"Take Shelter." In the end, weird, provocative and disturbing, but kind of unsatisfying at the same time.

"Hellbound: Hellraiser II." Well, yeah, it's dumb and makes no sense, but it satisfies despite that. And, despite the weird-ass plot, it's more straightforward than the first one. I'm glad I bought that DVD way back when.
Null

Postby Maura88 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 am

If anyone here still hasn't watched Gravity with Clooney and Bullock, tear your bottoms off the couch and go and check it out! It's stunning and REALLY much better in 3D
Maura88
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby Skimba » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Maura88 wrote:If anyone here still hasn't watched Gravity with Clooney and Bullock, tear your bottoms off the couch and go and check it out! It's stunning and REALLY much better in 3D

I've heard it's actually good, but everytime I see a commercial for it... "Bullock and Clooney...they needed money. Now in theaters!" "Bullock, Lost In Space 2." "Aren't there people whose job it is JUST to make sure a space shuttle doesn't hit things?" Etc...
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 pm

i've also heard it's good, but then i also heard "the hangover" was good as well so i don't listen to people anymore...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:39 pm

I watched Gravity. It's a strange film in that although I found it quite gripping, I'm not sure that it would work nearly as well without watching it in 3D, which makes it exceptional compared to a lot of the other films I've seen in 3D. I have only two questions:

1) Why would the Russians fire a missile at a satellite anyway?

2) How did they actually manage to film the whole thing? It was very impressive.

EDIT: I just took the effort to actually type something into Google to find out the answer to question 2.
MysticalDescent

Postby Null » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:52 pm

I saw the 2010 version of "The Colour Out of Space" and it's a genuinely excellent Lovecraft adaptation (two clauses which are almost never found together). Oh--they moved the location from New England to Germany, so ninety percent of the dialogue is in German (and the English dialogue sounds awkward).

After that I watched an old 80's horror movie, "Forbidden World" which was utterly terrible. Decent nudity, though.
Null

Postby James » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm

I really enjoyed Gravity. The initial debris storm was grimly thrilling and – to use an appalling word – impactful like few other things I've seen. I can't think of an entirely satisfactory word; it's not really emotionally moving, but it hit me in a similar way and to a similar degree as a really as a powerfully tragic scene might. I'm not good with words. Anyway, it's very tense and marvellous synthesis of beautiful visuals and an impressive (if minimal) score.

MysticalDescent wrote:I watched Gravity. It's a strange film in that although I found it quite gripping, I'm not sure that it would work nearly as well without watching it in 3D, which makes it exceptional compared to a lot of the other films I've seen in 3D.

I was wondering about this, and about how much the experience would be diminished on a smaller screen and less floor-vibratingly loud audio. I'll still definitely get it on Blu-ray, but I do hope to see it in a cinema again.

MysticalDescent wrote:1) Why would the Russians fire a missile at a satellite anyway?

I think this was covered in the film. They were disposing of an old satellite, with the implication being that it had been used for spying and would therefore be a security risk if not destroyed.

Apparently there's some stuff about the film that isn't so accurate, and towards the end I got a little annoyed with some of the talking-to-self, but it really is a striking and wonderful film.

Captain Phillips is also pretty good. Hanks' emotional climax impressed me.

I've yet to see Thor 2. If I manage to before it leaves cinemas, I expect my main impression to be that dumb thrill I still get from seeing stuff from my life in American films; in this instance, London and associated police stuff as was in the trailer. I'm an idiot.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:14 am

Null wrote:I saw the 2010 version of "The Colour Out of Space" and it's a genuinely excellent Lovecraft adaptation (two clauses which are almost never found together). Oh--they moved the location from New England to Germany, so ninety percent of the dialogue is in German (and the English dialogue sounds awkward).

This has very much interested me. I will look into acquiring a copy.

Null wrote:After that I watched an old 80's horror movie, "Forbidden World" which was utterly terrible. Decent nudity, though.

This has very much interested me. I will look into acquiring a copy.

James wrote:The initial debris storm was grimly thrilling and – to use an appalling word – impactful like few other things I've seen. I can't think of an entirely satisfactory word; it's not really emotionally moving, but it hit me in a similar way and to a similar degree as a really as a powerfully tragic scene might. I'm not good with words.

Yeah that first scene was amazing to behold.
However, I was not emotionally invested in Sandra Bullock at all. I honestly believe the movie would have been much better had the principle actors been unknowns.

James wrote:impressive (if minimal) score.

I hated the sound in that movie. Probably just me, though.

James wrote:Apparently there's some stuff about the film that isn't so accurate

Possible spoilers:
UGH there was a bunch of greasy 20somethings spouting pseudo-science as they walked out of the movie.. Dammit, anyone with their brain switched on would have put two and two together when a particularly bullhonky moment occurred.
Also, it wouldn't have made for a very good movie if everyone had just died, would it?

James wrote:Hanks' emotional climax impressed me.

>_> good.

I want to watch more movies. I watched The Wolverine. As with most movies nowadays, it was good except for the terrible end. Just a terrible ending that seemed to me to be written on the spot.
Why can't these overpaid Hollywood types write a decent ending?
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Dusk wrote:Yeah that first scene was amazing to behold.
However, I was not emotionally invested in Sandra Bullock at all.

I heard someone say the film has a terrible script, and despite liking it I think they might actually be right. I still really enjoyed it, but what I enjoyed about it wasn't really much to do with character arcs or plot; it was more a device for delivering awe and tension. Backhanded compliment?

Dusk wrote:I honestly believe the movie would have been much better had the principle actors been unknowns.

Me too, but unfortunately I don't think they could have got the budget they did (and with which they did an awful lot) without the big names.

Dusk wrote:I hated the sound in that movie. Probably just me, though.

I'd hope so, LEST I BE SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS.

Dusk wrote:UGH there was a bunch of greasy 20somethings spouting pseudo-science as they walked out of the movie..

What sort of thing?

Dusk wrote:
James wrote:Hanks' emotional climax impressed me.

>_> good.

He has an impressive climax.

Dusk wrote:Why can't these overpaid Hollywood types write a decent ending?

It's always easier to make promises than fulfil them.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:39 pm

I heard the best review of a film at the pub a few months ago. I'm afraid it's a little out of date, but it went, 'The Great Gatsby was a massive rip-off. I thought I was going to see a film about a magician!'
MysticalDescent

Postby mulpis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Anybody see Catching Fire this weekend? I was thoroughly underwhelmed, and I'm very surprised than none of friends share my opinion.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby jvcc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 am

I saw it tonight. I liked it better than the first one, but there were still a look of shaky points. I haven't read the books, though, so I'm not super familiar with the whole franchise/storyline.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Dusk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:30 am

James wrote:
Dusk wrote:I hated the sound in that movie. Probably just me, though.

I'd hope so, LEST I BE SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS.

argghahaha

Why is the movie/book called Catching Fire? Do they throw them into a battle royale situation then set them on fire?
Someone should probably do something about that.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am

so i finally watched "Casablanca" for the first time ever this weekend. totally worth the wait, btw...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby Skimba » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:56 am

sum yun gai wrote:so i finally watched "Casablanca" for the first time ever this weekend. totally worth the wait, btw...

I have yet to be convinced.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Skimba wrote:
sum yun gai wrote:so i finally watched "Casablanca" for the first time ever this weekend. totally worth the wait, btw...

I have yet to be convinced.

Yeah pics or it didn't happen
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby IanC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:41 pm

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Or at least The LEGO Movie is. It could have easily been a cash in, 90 mins toy advert. But no, instead it ended up one of the best animated films in agggggges.

Batman's "OH COME ON" had me giggling, then whooping in joy at the BRILLIANT cameo that followed. Oh and I just have to say.... the 3rd act is an amazing twist to the film. Makes it very much like Toy Story in a way.

OH OH and I have to say, the song "Everything is Awesome!!!" is ridiculously catchy and will stay in your head for EVER. Doesn't help that the video game uses it quite a bit (yes i bought the video game based on the movie based on the toys)
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EsBe » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:42 pm

IanC wrote:EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Or at least The LEGO Movie is. It could have easily been a cash in, 90 mins toy advert. But no, instead it ended up one of the best animated films in agggggges.

Batman's "OH COME ON" had me giggling, then whooping in joy at the BRILLIANT cameo that followed. Oh and I just have to say.... the 3rd act is an amazing twist to the film. Makes it very much like Toy Story in a way.

OH OH and I have to say, the song "Everything is Awesome!!!" is ridiculously catchy and will stay in your head for EVER. Doesn't help that the video game uses it quite a bit (yes i bought the video game based on the movie based on the toys)

I saw that last night.

I have not been so consistently entertained for an entire hour and a half in recent memory.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby mulpis » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 pm

This surprises me, because my girls and I were less than thrilled. We liked it okay, but clearly not anywhere near as much as everyone else. We certainly didn't like it as much as Wreck It Ralph, which is our favorite animated movie in recent history (or in the case of my 7 year old, of all time, since all of her history is recent). There wasn't anything specific that we didn't like about it. It was cute. We enjoyed it. We just didn't loooooove it.
mulpis
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:35 am

I rated it as pretty good out of five.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Jemry » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 am

Meanwhile Lego Movie isn't out for another fortnight in Australia. Just saw Grand Budapest Hotel, really good out of five.
http://www.myspace.com/jemry C WHUT I DID THAR. I'M SO DECEPTIVE.

Chrono Crow wrote:I love Jemry.

Jemry
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above