Video Game Stuff

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Video Game Stuff

Postby James » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 am

I think the main thing it evokes is the idea of people not being sufficiently "serious" about gaming, which is very dumb, but can mean a number of things to people who want to think in those sorts of terms: not spending as much time on games as a "hardcore" gamer; only playing games with relatively shallow depth of gameplay mechanic; avoiding games with "dark" or "mature" themes (i.e. lots of blood and killing and possibly swearing and unpleasant attitudes); focusing too much on a single game; focusing on game platforms other than the canon of the gaming community (e.g. Facebook games). By these varied descriptions, somebody could be "hardcore" in one person's eyes, but "casual" in another's. A good example of this are people who play a lot of Call of Duty and barely any of anything else. It's a very testosterone-ridden full retail release for the main gaming systems, and they play it for hours and hours and hours, but to some these people are not adequately versed in what else is going on with games.

Anyway, it's come to be a tedious term that basically describes the negative space created by gamer machismo.
Last edited by James on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:31 am

gotcha. So by all accounts except playing facebook games, I am certainly a casual gamer. Ok, I play scrabble on facebook but that hardly counts.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby IanC » Thu May 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Sim city 2000 is $5.99 on GOG Its the DOS version, running in Dos Box (for Windows ) and Boxer (for Mac).

Well worth it, even if i cant figure out how to manage my bloody city.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

So much for the R18 rating in Australia.
http://gamepolitics.com/2013/06/25/sain ... -australia
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, given their statement of the intent of the class distinction, it seems perfectly reasonable even if you aren't in favour of screening games.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Someone explain to me just why Pac-Man, Mega Man, Kuro (x2) and that Infamous bloke are in Street Fighter x Tekken? I give Capcom the Final Fight characters, since they have popped up in Street Fighter. But those 5 make no sense.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:24 pm

The Last of Us is good. It has competent writing and acting, and it effectively conveys an attempt to be stealthy rapidly falling apart into a messy brawl in a way that makes sense in the context of the story, and in a way that doesn't make me want to immediately restart the scenario. It's a small example of integrating fiction and mechanics. We could do with more of that.

Rogue Legacy is good. It's made by the people who made Don't poopcakes Your Pants. This one isn't about pants and shitting, though. It's about a randomly generated castle and generations of heros with different traits trying to defeat it. And two-dimensional platforming and fighting.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:00 am

so I played that game and didn't poopcakes my pants. Is there something else to it?
chrismachine

Postby James » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Mainly humour. If you get all the achievements you win a prize.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby IanC » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:22 pm

James wrote:The Last of Us is good. It has competent writing and acting, and it effectively conveys an attempt to be stealthy rapidly falling apart into a messy brawl in a way that makes sense in the context of the story, and in a way that doesn't make me want to immediately restart the scenario. It's a small example of integrating fiction and mechanics. We could do with more of that.

Will have to pick that up soon. Its just that, why does it even have online multiplayer? Why do Sony keep forcing Naughty Dog to include multiplayer in what are meant to be single player experiences (see Uncharted 2 and 3)? Gah. Hope there isnt any online trophies, or if there is they are simple like Uncharted 2 has.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I wouldn't let it bother you. You're right that it doesn't make much sense in relation to the highly crafted stories they're trying to tell, but it's so easily ignored, and it's not like the single-player is at all diminished for it. Also, this might be a decidedly unpleasant thing to say, but I'd suggest trying not to care too much about trophies and achievements. They're fine, but if you become too invested in pursuing them they become more of a burden than anything else. I mean, if you get enjoyment from them that's great, but I don't think it's something worth getting irritated by. I have precisely one trophy in The Last of Us, and if anything I found the notification a little jarring in such a engrossing experience.

Weirdly, the multiplayer in Uncharted 2 was actually pretty good. It was still totally bizarre that it was even there (tedious business reasons notwithstanding), and not remotely necessary, but it was more than competently done. (Even weirder was that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer was genuinely interesting and unique.)
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 pm

achievements for what, making the dude do creative stuff and still not drop a deuce in his trunks?
chrismachine

Postby James » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:52 am

One of them can be earned before even starting the game.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:27 am

I share your previous take on achievements, however.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:00 pm

James wrote:One of them can be earned before even starting the game.

Ive played some games with ones for PAUSING the dang game. Funny. Or doing stuff like looking at the in game interface for the online store.

I think Simpsons Game got it right, they just used achievements to rip into gaming as much as the actual game did.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:55 pm

i decided to collect all the bobble heads in fallout 3 and that was truly a burden once i got about 2/3 of the way through them. especially since at least one was in a hidden place you had to literally fall off of a cliff to find...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:15 pm

sum yun gai wrote:i decided to collect all the bobble heads in fallout 3 and that was truly a burden once i got about 2/3 of the way through them. especially since at least one was in a hidden place you had to literally fall off of a cliff to find...

Dunwich Building? Fantastic location, although it does rather push the bounds of believability.
MysticalDescent

Postby IanC » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:52 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:
sum yun gai wrote:i decided to collect all the bobble heads in fallout 3 and that was truly a burden once i got about 2/3 of the way through them. especially since at least one was in a hidden place you had to literally fall off of a cliff to find...

Dunwich Building? Fantastic location, although it does rather push the bounds of believability.

Believability? Its a game set in the post-nuclear wasteland that is Washington DC. With old timey cars that blow up, computers that look like something from the early 80s, a giant robot spouting anti-Communist propaganda.....

Believability is low all round in that game (series) really.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Suspension of disbelief.

Or internal logic. Whatever.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby IanC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:01 pm

I still need to play New Vegas.

Steam sale, anyone picked anything up? I got the Borderlands 2 Season Pass, but thats all so far.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Um, Reus, Rogue Legacy, Surgeon Simulator 2013. I think that's it, but it's probably not.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:22 am

That Blood Dragon thing, that Tomb Raider thing, that Nazi zombie sniping thing, and that personal computer version of Fez thing.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby IanC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Was Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes in "the sale" or just "on sale"? I got the last night when i had a quick look at my wishlist and noticed it had fallen in price quite a bit.

I had to laugh when i noticed the other day a piece of software for balancing your money was in the sale :P
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:07 am

I received Cart Life as a gift from a mysterious Australian! I haven't played it yet, but I was totes desiring it so that's cool. Thanks be to Australians!

Also: Gunpoint, Football Manager 2013, Gunpoint. My Steam account is getting clogged with an awful lot of never-played games.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby IanC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm

ntw3001 wrote:My Steam account is getting clogged with an awful lot of never-played games.

Mine is full of em. Which is why im glad i didn't pick much up in the sale :)
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above