Video Game Stuff

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Video Game Stuff

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 pm

I picked up DayZ in the Steam sale and have enjoyed it to date. I've mostly been playing it with somebody else, who convinced me to buy it. The basic premise of the game is that you are dumped in a ridiculously large map (for scale, it has an area of 225 square km) that represents some part of Russia and have nothing but the clothes that you're wearing, a torch and a battery. Humanity has mostly been wiped out by a virus or something and the world is mostly populated by zombies. They're around the place, but they're not all that common. Your only goal is to survive. Scavenge whatever you can, get food, get water, fight off the zombies and the other players and live for as long as possible.

I decided to document my first week of experiments with the game here. Warning: what follows is overly dramatic, switches between tenses without warning and is probably pretentious in parts.

Subject #1

The test subject to see how the game worked. I spawned near a road, saw a tiny village a little way on and had a little wander up to there while working out how you move quickly.

"WUUUUARARARAAAAAH"

Oh. A zombie. Well I guess I'll just punch you then. I'll punch you again, I suppose, and again and again. Why aren't you dying? Oh, you've died. That's nice. I'll just carry on walking. No, wait, it turns out I can kill you by punching. What do you mean I'm bleeding? Ah dang. GO AWAY GO AWAY LEAVE ME ALONE. Well now I'm unconscious, because the screen is black and the text says so. Screw this, I'm going to go and read what I'm actually supposed to do.

Subject #2

By this time, I'd done a little bit of reading and had entered the game with my colleague. After the initial exchanges ('Where are you?' 'Erm...I'm on a hill near a crashed boat and a lighthouse') things were going pretty well. I got myself to the nearby town, got some pretty snazzy materials, a gun with some ammo and had built myself a nice little safe room while I waited for my associate to catch up. I sat cross legged on the floor and left some sardines in front of me as a peace offering and a sign that I was the right person. After an hour of solid running, he arrived. We charged straight for the nearest city, known colloquially as Elektro, since neither of us is particularly good at deciphering the Cyrillic alphabet.

Things proceeded well. We fended off some zombie attacks and ransacked a police station. We then ransacked the local school and arrived on the roof. I saw that there was a slightly lower roof next door with what appeared to be some interesting loot. No problem, I'll just jump down there.

*CRUNCH*

Oh, I'm dead. Apparently falling damage is a big thing.

Subject #3

That's ridiculous, it must have been something else. I know, I'll climb up this little wooden scout tower here and jump off it.

Oh, my leg is broken.

Well, better climb back up and jump off again to finish the job.

Subject #4

I spawned right next to the illustrious city of Bepe3nho (yes, I'm really going to spell it like that - it makes me smile). This is one of the biggest cities in the game and a fairly big deal, so I agreed to rendezvous with my compadre and started to prod around to see what I could find in this haven. I was just in the upper floor of a house when I looked out of the window to see two people attacking a zombie with baseball bats. I decided it was best to stay out of their way, so hid for a moment before leaving the house.

Naturally, I walked right into the two of them. I put my hands up, as if to say "Hello, good fellows! I have clearly just spawned and have no possessions save for the trousers I came in and am looking forward to hasten away and explore the sights without any trouble and so it's alright by you I'd like to leave now." They stared at me as I left. I got a few yards clear and started to sprint. They didn't like that and sprinted after me. With no idea of where I was going, I got myself cornered behind a church and was beaten to death with baseball bats.

Subject #5

This was an even briefer life. I spawned in Bepe3nho again, in the industrial district this time. I was set upon by zombies and ran up a couple of ladders so that they couldn't get to me. I was then shot by a sniper and died.

Subject #6

By this point, I'd learned to stay away from Bepe3nho. I just stuck to raiding small town police stations. This didn't last for very long. After resuming a session that I had finished in a police station, a man just walked in and shot me in the face with a shotgun.

Subject #7

This subject lasted for a few days. I was back on the strategy of dealing with police stations in small towns on near-empty servers. Things were going pretty well. I'd got guns and ammunition, tons of pockets and all the rice I could want. I carefully trecked across the wasteland, making sure I wasn't observed and didn't encounter any enemies. Then I reached yet another small town police station and had a clever idea. I would be one of those server hoppers. I would leave the game in a police station after raiding it and then join a new server, which would spawn me in the same place but with fresh loot. I did that a few times and it worked pretty well for me. Then I loaded a new server and found myself a bulletproof jacket. Sweet.

Wait a minute, did I just hear a breath?

*CRACK*

"NO!"

Guns don't go bang in this game, they seem to make a single cracking noise. That was it. Several days of survival ended by a man who was doing the same thing as me and whose face I never saw.

Subject #8

My most recent subject. This one was again done while in communication with my fellow survivor. Due to an issue with drivers or something, we were conducting all communications over the phone. We pretty quickly worked out where we were and since we were on a server with only one other person, decided to converge on the North-East airstrip. This is where all the best weapons apparently are. I got within a few hundred yards of the front entrance and hid in a nearby house, watching the place intently while I waited for the rendezvous. I should add here that I'd got my best gear yet by this point, so I was feeling fairly defensive. This was how the conversation went:

"Right, I can just see the airstrip now - yeah, there's a big building and a load of hangars behind it"
"Oh, you're on the North side of it, I'm on the South side by the main entrance. Can you wait there? I'll run over to you"

At this point, I ran into some nearby woods and ran parallel to the airstrip, so as to avoid being spotted if the one other person on the server was in there and on the prowl.

"Right, I'm going on."
"What, I'm nearly there, can you just wait a second?"
"Nah, it's cool, I'm in here. Ooh, a purple backpack."
*CRACK*
"AAAAAAAAAARGH"
"What? What?"
"I'm dead, I'm dead."
"fork, fork, fork"

At this point, I just turned away from the airstrip and sprinted into the woods. I think I spent an hour sprinting blindly in any direction that could be described as 'not the airstrip'. It was like hearing a hostage getting executed over the phone. It was haunting.

Man, I love this game.
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby chrismachine » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Well it sounds infuriating.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Surprisingly, it isn't really. It's just very intense and you really do get into survival mode. I have had one infuriating game that I forgot to document. Let's call it subject #6a.

Subject #6a

I spawned in a barn. I climbed up a staircase into the rafters and found a hat, which was nice. I then walked down the steps and jumped the final bit of the way.

*CRUNCH*

Two broken legs. 6a could not stand up. He could crouch, when stationary, but had to crawl everywhere. You can cure a broken leg using a splint, but that would require me having access to those things, rather than being in the middle of nowhere. I thought that I could just go back up the stairs to finish the job, but because I could only crawl, I couldn't find a way back up. I therefore decided to crawl out of the barn and along the nearest path, hoping to find something capable of killing me. I shed my clothing, since that could potentially have kept me alive for longer. I crawled for about an hour without encountering a single foe.

Eventually, though, I got used to crawling. I mostly divided my attention between DayZ on one screen and old episodes of Frasier on another. I found little tricks, such as I could exploit my ability to roll sideways to roll up staircases. Finally, salvation arrived. I saw on the horizon another barn. I arrived there, rolled up the stairs and rolled off the ledge to meet my demise. To be fair to him, he had superhuman strength to manage all of that.

The inability to respawn at will is a bit of a problem.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Good LORD! I mean I almost want to try it now, but, Yeesh.
chrismachine

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:46 pm

chrismachine wrote:Good LORD! I mean I almost want to try it now, but, Yeesh.

It's still in pre-alpha so it's not exactly polished. I wouldn't recommend playing it unless you've got somebody to play it with alongside you. It's a fun adventure when you're both stranded miles apart from each other.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:52 pm

The last 3 computer games I played on a PC were Myst Civ 2, and Civ 4.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Completed South Park: The Stick of Truth yesterday.

Its rickin'-frackin' hilarious, as you'd expect from South Park. Rude, crude, disgusting... and a really good RPG at heart. The turn based combat works really well, with action command so you don't just have to pick an option and sit and watch it happen.

Oh and the final boss? Nazi Zombie Magical Princess Kenny. Seriously.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Let's see. Oh, there's a wiki, and it has a list of towns and cities. Now we're cooking.

The full name of "Elektro" appears to be "Elektrozavodsk", so I don't blame you for stopping at the "o". Especially since no other location appears to start with it.

You can call it "Bepe3nho" if you want, but it appears to be "Berezino" on the table.

Ah, Russian. Letters that look like ours, but sound nothing like ours. (Of course, part of that's the fault of things like their letter that looks like "P" being all Greek and sounding like "R".)
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Nyperold wrote:Let's see. Oh, there's a wiki, and it has a list of towns and cities. Now we're cooking.

The full name of "Elektro" appears to be "Elektrozavodsk", so I don't blame you for stopping at the "o". Especially since no other location appears to start with it.

You can call it "Bepe3nho" if you want, but it appears to be "Berezino" on the table.

Ah, Russian. Letters that look like ours, but sound nothing like ours. (Of course, part of that's the fault of things like their letter that looks like "P" being all Greek and sounding like "R".)

I know it's Berezino, but saying Bepe3nho is much more fun for some reason. Plus, when you're trying to navigate in-game, your only markers are road signs, which has the Russian name but no English.
MysticalDescent

Postby IanC » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:42 pm

I COMPLETED A ROGUE LIKE!!!!

Well a "Mystery Dungeon" game, but they are released to rogue likes. Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God on PS Vita. Funny game too, main story is a blast. Ive unlocked a 256 floor bonus dungeon now... eep.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I upgraded my PS4s hard drive last night to a 1TB HHD (hybrid hard drive. HD with a small SSD cache). Was easy as pie. Though really it should have had at least 1TB from the off.
Shame there was no way to easily back up data, so i have to redownload/install games and DLC. Thankfully game saves are on Sonys servers so they can be redownloaded too.

Mostly playing Last of US Remastered, which is really good though i can't escape the feeling its Uncharted with less climbing and jumping and more horror. Which i guess it is?

Also Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn. Which lives up to the title, giant robots beating seven shades out of tons of other giant robots. Plus theres a cut scene with Bright Noa slapping Amuro so its true to the anime :P
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby EsBe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm

So, Forced is a good game. Hilariously, frustratingly so. It's a 1-4 player arena brawler where you and your accomplices attempt to complete a task while fighting your way through enemies. You share (sometimes inadvertently fight for) control over a single NPC whose only command is "fly right to where I'm standing" and who also happens to be the only one who can flip switches, grab blocks, explode statues, etc.

It's fun because it requires a lot of coordination between players. But on the other hand it's annoying and frustrating because it requires a lot of coordination between players. In the past I played a lot of 3 player games, and only a 4 player game a few times, but every time I've enjoyed it. Panicked yelling/laughter through voice comms really ties it all together.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Nyperold » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Inspired by the Let's Play of it by Ambisagrus, I ordered Little King's Story and got it yesterday. (That is, the Wii game, not New Little King's Story for the Vita. I don't even have a Vita, so.)

It's a pretty neat game. At its core, it plays quite a bit like Pikmin: You have a central character, the king, whom you control directly and can do little on his own, and a bunch of units with different and overlapping skill sets that you take with you and send to do various tasks like fighting enemies, digging holes, and breaking logs.

Unlike Pikmin (at least, I guess; I've only really seen Pikmin 2), however, your ultimate goal is to unite the kingdom under your rule. You do this by beating guardians and kings. Each king you beat gets you a new princess of some description, each of which has her own game-spanning sidequest, and in the end, you choose which one you take with you to the final confrontation.

If you think this sounds interesting, but aren't sure if you want the game yourself and aren't afraid of spoilers, check out the aforementioned LP of it. If/when you are sure you want it, well, I got it on Amazon.

Current status:
One king defeated.
Two Wonder Spots located.
Ginger talked to, but gallery not located.
Several bits of fanart located, some of which weren't shown in the videos of the LP.
Currently trying to find out how to get to the Kingdom of the Jolly. (There's a fence in the way, and no, I can't just have my units bash at it until it comes down.)
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Finished the Last of Us. Huh. Ending was... huh. I thought it was going to be really depressing. But it wasnt. So yeah.

Multiplayer is fun. Still got Left Behind to complete and I'm going to try and find all collectables too (will do a New Game+ for those)
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Two kings down, hating the remaining one. To quote the special guest for part 10 of the Let's Play, "I love this boss fight's gimmick, and at the same time, it's the worst boss fight in the game."

PoorWeather says it's pinball, but it also reminds me of Breakout/Arkanoid in that you've got this paddle at the bottom made of five of your units. Now, of course, a Breakout paddle has an advantage over what you have in that Breakout paddles don't take damage from hitting the ball, whereas your paddle is only as durable as the entirety of your current Royal Guard plus the king. (Also the king can get hit three times before running out of units, rendering the Life points of the rest moot.)

What you need to do is, in either order:
1. Break the rock at the very back. The rock can be weakened by Shishkebaboo being hit into it himself, or by you sending miners to jump on it and get to work. But they can only reach it if Shish hits the Onii with the sign twice, making the lights dim and the lights up the middle light up, and you can send them up with no obstacles (standing rocks, anyone?) and without getting hit by Shish.
2. Get Shish down to 250 kg from 1500 kg. The more he rolls, the more he loses, but... if he gets past you, he gets to the pile of food behind him and starts chowing down, gaining him back some kilogrammage.

Once you've done both these things, then you can beat him by knocking him into... the fork that was behind the rock. But I haven't been able to do it. Maybe I should make more of my units into miners.

What's really annoying is that you also have to fight Onii Hoppers first, and if you go to where the hot spring is to get your health back, the Onii Hoppers will also be back. I'm not sure if it also undoes your progress on hitting the gate or what. Maybe I should try getting it way down, going back to the spring, and coming back to see what that does.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 am

IanC wrote:Finished the Last of Us. Huh. Ending was... huh. I thought it was going to be really depressing. But it wasnt. So yeah.

The end of The Last of Us is really interesting. Incoming spoilers:

I also found the ending sympathetic and kind of uplifting, but if you look at it objectively, there's a very good case for saying that Joel made the wrong choice. For all we know, the Fireflies' project and Ellie's sacrifice were the only hope of salvation for humanity. Furthermore, Joel contradicted Ellie's explicitly expressed wishes. You could perhaps argue that she's too young to be making that sort of decision, and he was acting as a guardian, but it's definitely ethically and morally troubling. It's a scenario without any clean solution. Joel made an understandable choice that I'm sure most of us can empathise with, but I'm not sure whether he made the right one. Perhaps he doomed the entire species (what's left of it). But it makes sense: he couldn't bear to go through that loss again.

All that said, I don't quite fall quite as far on that side as some people do. Some people are adamant that Joel definitely made the wrong decision and that he's basically evil for having done so; I'm not sure we can really know how likely the Fireflies' project was to succeed. It's a bit like returning to the early days of medicine before medical ethics was as established as it is now: a lot of the medicines and medical procedures we rely on now came about through some pretty fucked up experimentation through the years. And through war. It's unsettling how much the comfort of today owes to the pain of yesterday.

Anyway, I think it's a really good and interesting ending that leaves you with stuff to think about.

I also enjoy how it, as a mainstream game (rather than an arty indie thing) manages to express something about its world through the mechanics of playing it: the combat easily becomes messy and awkward in a way that's entirely consistent and convincing for the setting. A lot of the time the story of a game and the actual action of playing it are basically entirely divorced. That's fine, but not as interesting. I like games where it feels like your experience of the story gains something unique from it being a game, as opposed to one of the more traditional narrative forms.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Nyperold » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Not about any specific game, but I want to see one where you can mess with the countdown timer on a bomb or something in this manner:

"5... 4..." "Hey mac, what time is it?" "11:28... 11:27... 11:26..."

And maybe you could do it one more time, but the third time, it ignores you, the fourth time, it skips to 5 seconds, and the fifth time, it just goes ahead and blows up.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 am

So I just beat Little King's Story on Normal. That's right, I skipped Easy, which is unusual for me. I got all the Art Pieces, and did every princess quest, one of which was kind of annoying.

This quest is for Kokomo Pine, the princess you gain from beating TV Dinnah of the Primetime Kingdom. What she wants you to do is find 29 humming people in specific spots in different parts of your kingdom. They can only be found between 10 PM and 12 AM game time each night, which gives you, the player, about... I guess, two minutes to find anyone? And even then, they might not show up. When you find all 29 of those, Kokomo herself provides the 30th, and the quest is over.

None of the princess quests are required, but, eh, I just wanted to. Though only my stubbornness and sense of fairness -- I had finished all other princess quests, so I didn't want to leave this one incomplete -- kept me going.

The final battle is pretty hard, I think. One strategy you may adopt is... worry about keeping the actual number of soldiers up. Don't worry about their health too much, as they're more likely to be taken by insta-kill attack than by something that "just" does damage, especially if you've equipped Life-enhancing equipment on them. (Do worry somewhat about your king's health, and open that hot spring almost ASAP. You don't want to be stuck without it if your Farmer(s) die(s).)
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Mostly playing Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, which came out on PS4 the other week. Managed to get it for £6 thanks to Tesco (not a price error, just a combo of a £5 off £30+ games voucher, 2 £5 club card vouchers and a club card boost)
Its just fun, a PvZ twist on a 3rd person team shooter. Different classes, all with a PvZ twist, different modes (Gnome Bomb is my fave.) and it plays really well.

Heres a video i capture on my PS4 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooJuXlFWBw
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 pm

I had that on 360 before I traded in the console... I had a good time with it for sure. I liked the standard mode the best :)
chrismachine

Previous

Return to None of the Above