A little help :)

For drawings and other artwork that don't necessarily have anything to do with Spamusement.
chrismachine
Impresses the Females

A little help :)

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi guys,

So I'm starting a new teaching assignment next year where half of my day will be as a gym teacher (amazing!!!) and as part of that I look after all of the sports equipment and stuff. We seriously need new jerseys and our logo is old and needs to be updated. We are the bulldogs, and I really like one of the georgetown hoyas logos. Problem is, I don't know if I can just take that and use it with new letters on the hat (BPS) or if that would be copyright infringement even though we don't plan to sell merchandise or anything. I imagine we might make T-Shirts for the students to buy at some point and wouldn't want any problems. I don't suppose anyone would be able to help adapt the logo I'd like to emulate in a way that keeps the spirit of a somewhat positive looking bulldog, but isn't a total rip-off. I was trying to give it slightly happier eyes and to change the colour to a lighter blue like the colour we use (almost the same as the Carolina Panthers football team logo), but I'm just not good enough to make those changes well enough, and so mine keeps looking too much the same. If anyone is able to help that would be awesome, but obviously everyone's pretty busy so no problem if not. Thought I should at least ask :)

Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: A little help :)

Postby Null » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:29 pm

I softened the eyes somewhat.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:09 pm

That looks great, the eyes were really hard for me so that's a big help :) I'm still trying to figure out how to make it look a bit different from the original without messing it up, so if you have any ideas (even just to write down if you don't have the time to try it out - again, I totally appreciate what you've already done) I'd love to see them :)

Null

Postby Null » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 am

I'm not sure what else might be done--the bulldog image is kind of limited in how it can be used, since the face is so associated with "tough, formidable, not-to-be-messed-with" that changing it too much would turn it into a different animal. And what you want with a team icon is "tough, formidable, etc."

I'll see if I can come up with anything over the weekend.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:58 am

I'm totally good with tough and formidable, I just wanted to make it look a bit less angry with the eyes and that has been achieved. For the rest, I'm just trying to see if there's a way to make it look different enough that it doesn't look like a total rip-off. I'm just not gifted enough to even know what would be an effective change, let alone do it. I'd imagine things like the jaw line or the angle of the hat or whatever, but I don't know if those are good ideas or how it would look. Anyway if you do end up with time this weekend that's fantastic, and if not then like I said, I'm very happy with the help you've given :)

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Maybe instead of the fanged smile, a toothy grin would be more appropriate? I suck a Photoshop otherwise I would give it a go
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:19 pm

I think I gave too strong an impression that I wanted the logo to be less intimidating. I'm totally cool with him looking badass, I just wanted it a bit less angry-badass. In either case, that might still be a good look too, but I definitely couldn't pull it off.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:01 pm

In that case, perhaps an eye patch? :P

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Null

Postby Null » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Okay, I got rid of one fang and extended his lip a bit

Then I changed his hat around. I added some eye shadows back, because he was starting to look too nice.

Maybe getting rid of the tooth was a bad idea. He looks more and more like Ernest Borgnine.

By the way, these are all done pretty quickly and are kind of crude. If you'd like to use any (or all) I'd like to clean them up a bit.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:58 pm

My favorite is the last one, but I think you're right about adding back the tooth. Looks fine with one too, though. I will make sure I get office approval to order new sports uniforms in September, and if I get it, I will let you know. If I do, I would love to use the last one. It would go on shirt so022 in the centre as a grey design: http://online.pubhtml5.com/klbj/biam/#p=48

Null

Postby Null » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:32 pm

I brought back the tooth, smoothed out some of the jaggies and added a bit of the original screen left eye.

I think this is about the best I can do--it's different from the original, and I think he looks tough but a bit friendly as well.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I totally agree, and am very grateful. Thank you!

Null

Postby Null » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:34 am

Okay, the eye on screen left really started to bother me. So I've made a couple of changes.

Since these changes were made on separate layers, I can easily go back to any of them.

I can also provide both in BMP or TIFF files if needed.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:35 pm

That's pretty sensational, thanks!

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 pm

So I approached my principal and VP again today about uniforms, and we are going to make it happen!

I have swapped out the hat logo, what do you think? Feel free to tinker if you would like :)

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Order placed today :)

Here is the final result!

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:48 pm

That looks pretty nice! I'm assuming the 20 is just for example, and you're not gonna have a team's worth of 20s out there?

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:48 pm

They will be 1-20. The jowl that looks white there has been fixed too. I'm pumped.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 pm

They look great!
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

Return to “We're Totally Artists”