Pass-Over Comics. Issue #1 (And Rules)

For drawings and other artwork that don't necessarily have anything to do with Spamusement.
Veepa
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Pass-Over Comics. Issue #1 (And Rules)

Postby Veepa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Not the Jewish holiday.

Overview:
This is a collaborative multi-paged comic book. Each person will be required to do at least 3 pages. You can do more if you want, if you're in the zone or something. But the basic rules require that we take the characters, plot, and setting suggestions into consideration, and that the first person draws 3 or so pages, and sends his work to me, then I'll pass it on to the next person. That person will then continue the story, send me their completed work, and I'll send their work, as well as any previous pages to the next person. This isn't a blind story game like Telephone Pictionary. Everyone will know what has occurred in all the pages that came before theirs.

Characters:
This is going to be a community effort, so even if you aren't able to draw comics you can still offer some input when it comes to creating characters and settings. So, if you have a character idea, you can describe the character and name him/her, and send an illustration with it if you're willing. It doesn't have to be a fancy drawing or anything.

The way the comic artists use the characters is totally up to them. And they aren't obligated to try and squeeze all of them in. They are completely free to create their own new ones within the comic.

If you have any character ideas, I guess for now just post them in this thread and I'll gather them all up, and find some way of randomly choosing which ones to use (That is, if there are too many to choose from.)

Example: "Frederico:. An anthropomorphic pig who wears sunglasses and has an in-your-face attitude about it." -Insert drawing here-

General Setting:
The same basic rules for the characters apply for the setting. If you have an idea, just post it here. Make sure to specify that you're posting an idea for the setting. I'll save the unused setting ideas for future comics.

Example: "Southern France, 1905. Winter"

Basic Plot:
Same rules as characters and settings. Just a small loose basic plot. Nothing too descriptive or specific.

Example: "A hero or gang of heroes must rescue someone... or something"

The Comic:
I'm going to start it off for the first installment. If you want to participate, please make sure you're going to have the time to do it, and follow the rules. The only real rule for the comic artists is that all comic pages have to be the same size. Which is the size I've shown in the example below. Also, just keep in mind the suggested setting/characters/plot. Though, you're completely free to break away from it if you want. Three page minimum, but feel free to go further with it. Just do not conclude it unless you are the last person. That's another thing.... if you sign up as the last participant, try to conclude the story. If not, I guess we could just continue it in another issue. All entries are to be sent to me via private message. I'll handle all the entries and postings, just so it doesn't get all confusing.

Example page: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/Veepa/danger.jpg
(This is just something I doodled up to show the basic format I'm aiming for)

Also, I know a lot of people have their own format of making comics... but for this, I'd like it if everyone would stick to the paneled pages as seen here.

Oh, and one more semi-important note: I want this to be separate from the Spamusement universe... mostly because I may create a website for this someday, and I'd like a wider audience to be able to enjoy it. So, no Spamusement characters or none of our inside jokes should appear in these comics. Those things are great of course, but that's what we have the “Spamusement!: the Comic” for.

1. Veepa

2. Kupo

3. Null

4. EsBe

5. Portals

6. Clueless

7. DuskBringer

So tell me if you want to draw some pages, or make your suggestions here. Any additional input is welcome and appreciated.
Last edited by Veepa on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Long live the new flesh.

Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: Pass-Over Comics. Issue #1 (And Rules)

Postby Null » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:07 am

I'd like to draw some pages. However, I have no idea what France looked like in 1905. With that caveat, if I can be useful...

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:10 am

Good thing it was just an example, then, right? :D

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:13 am

I think I would like to participate in a drawing capacity.

Veepa
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Veepa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 am

Alright, I added you fellows, Null and EsBe. Everyone else should be throwing out characters/settings/plots.
Long live the new flesh.

Portals
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Portals » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:21 am

Hmm. I think I'll try drawing some pages, if I may.

Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Clueless » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 am

Sign me up!
quetzalcoatlus wrote:I love how pleased the star is with it's copious armpit hair. That is a sentence I never thought I would find myself typing.

:D :wink:

Veepa
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Veepa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:14 am

Alright ladies(?), I added you two. One drawing spot open. And.. anyone else, feel free to start throwing out any suggestions.
Long live the new flesh.

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 am

I'll follow you anywhere, Veepa. I'm in.
::manshake, gets into helicopter::
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

Veepa
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Veepa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Mmm, manshake.

Alright people. We're all booked up for cartoonists here. So.. you can start flinging those characters/plots/settings at us. Please?
Long live the new flesh.

Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Clueless » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Can we drawing-people suggest characters and stuff as well?
quetzalcoatlus wrote:I love how pleased the star is with it's copious armpit hair. That is a sentence I never thought I would find myself typing.

Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Null » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:04 pm

How do I work this? Where does that highway go to?

Blasphemy
WON THE LOTTERY

Postby Blasphemy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm intrigued by this, and I already have a wealth of questions. However, before I start over-thinking this thing and taking it far too seriously, I think I'll just wait and see what other people suggest and observe how the whole project pans out.

Veepa
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Veepa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Clueless wrote:Can we drawing-people suggest characters and stuff as well?

Well, I was thinking it'd be better if those not participating in the drawing were to suggest.. but I kind of thought that there would be an overflow of suggestions, because it doesn't require that much effort. But that surely isn't the case so far. So I guess if we're truly desperate for the suggestions, then I'll have to allow the artists to suggest junk too.

Null wrote:How do I work this? Where does that highway go to?

Well... Huh..? You can't start work until everyone before you finishes theirs, of course. So, after I get the suggestions in, I'll start work on mine then send that to Kupo, she'll do her's and send me her's and I'll send both mine and her's to the next person. And so on.
Long live the new flesh.

Nik

Postby Nik » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:27 pm

SUGGESTIONS:

Characters:

Non-anthropomorphic pig named Albert. He neither talks nor has thought bubbles, but communicates exclusively through earnest facial expressions. This has mixed results. He is not one of the main characters.

Bea Arthur. The ghost of, that is. Shows up when needed.

Locations:

One of the main characters is a straight guy posing as a gay guy working in a gay bar. But he isn't homophobic, so this isn't a conflict in the plot.

Plot point:

For some yet-unknown reason, one of the female main characters will not go anywhere without an umbrella. She does not open it in buildings, though.

One of the main characters is allergic to lying. He breaks out in a rash.
Veepa wrote:
giantsfan97 wrote:Nik = least threatening person on this board :D

Dude, she's like 8 feet tall.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:35 pm

I guess I could take a stab at this. It would be cool if we could do a spamusement version of this some other time.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Aussie Evil
WON THE LOTTERY

Postby Aussie Evil » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Suggestions:

Character: A man with a CRT monitor for a head.

Plot: A virus has been discovered that turns every one of a person's cell into a red blood cell, leaving only a large clot at the end of the infection.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:59 am

Nik wrote:One of the main characters is allergic to lying. He breaks out in a rash.

All lying that he becomes aware of, lies told directly to him, or just the ones he tells?

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 am

Talking brownie(s)
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:54 am

Come on people! Jeez. Participation is at an all time low.
A couple more devices would be helpful.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:37 am

Okay, here goes. Pick and choose from any of the following:

Setting: Small Town, Kansas, 1946. Soldiers have recently returnd from WWII and a carnival is in town.

Characters:
1. Meriwether, an ironically gloomy, hard-nosed detective. He self-narrates his actions out loud, like he's the first-person narrator of a detective comic, except everyone can hear him; he's melodramatic about even the smallest detail. In his free time, he has started learning balloon art from his trusted friend...
2. Raul, a carnie sideshow performer who has honed his people's ancient tradition of balloon sculpture as a form of entertainment, meditation technique, and deadly martial art. He is Meriwether's confidant, sidekick, and ethnic stereotype. We know he is an ethnic stereotype because of his name, and because of his Unsettlingly Curved Moustache.

Plot points:
1. A series of elaborately (and/or hilariously) grisly murders have been terrorizing the carnival, yet people still attend in droves. Meriwether has been put on the case, with help from his good friend Raul.
2. For some reason, Raul's balloon art can animate itself and hold conversations with anyone who's falling-down drunk, crazy, or close to death.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:37 am

[hijack]
dang, Veeps, I still love that avatar, being something of a minor Woody Guthrie fan myself. I got to wondering, have you read Woody, Cisco, and Me? It's a story told by one of Woody Guthrie's buddies (Jim Longhi) about being in the Merchant Marine together in World War II. While it's not directly about Woody, it's really a good fun read.
[/hijack]

Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Clueless » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 am

I kind of got carried away when making these...

Portals
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Portals » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:17 pm

Hmm... A cat. Nothing significant about it other than its ability to hover.

Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Clueless » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:40 pm

So, what do you think? I didn't include the ghost of Bea Arthur, because it takes quite some time for me to make existing people recognizable.

Return to “We're Totally Artists”