Spamusement Zoom Quilt

For drawings and other artwork that don't necessarily have anything to do with Spamusement.

Spamusement Zoom Quilt

Postby Saltine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 am

Sum yun gai recently posted a reference to the second Zoom Quilt. Ooh, neat. But hey: we could totally do that too!

It took me a while to get the time and energy to throw something together that would be kinda zoomquilty with just DHTML and CSS instead of Flash.
Here it is, with some sample zooming images to see it work.

I've tested in Firefox 3.6 and Internet Explorer 8, and seen it working in Safari. Windows users: I recommend you use something other than IE, which seems to choke on being asked to animate faster than one or two frames a second. I don't know about other browsers. Your mileage may vary.

Notice that you can edit the URLs of the images to use for zooming, so you can test out your own creations. It also accepts a "urls" query parameter where you use semicolons to separate the... oh, like this:
http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom?urls=http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/zoom0.png;http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/zoom1.png;http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/zoom2.png;http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/zoom3.png.

So, let's get to the:
SPAMUSEMENT ZOOM QUILT

RULES
(Some of these rules may not be strictly necessary, but I think we should stick to them for best results.)

• All images should be 800 by 600 non-interlaced PNG files. (The only super-important piece here is the 4:3 aspect ratio of the image).
  • To make a new entry, take the previous entry image, crop it to the center 400 by 300 pixels, and scale it back up to 800 by 600. (This is very important. If you use the wrong part of the previous image or the wrong scaling, it will not properly join up.) Use this cropped-and-resized version of the previous image as your starting point.
    Note: if you don't have a program where this is easy, you can use urlimg.com or something like it.
    For example, if the previous entry is this:
    http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/sample0.png

the next entry should start like this:
    http://web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/sample1.png

(By the way, I used urlimg.com to give me that: http://urlimg.com/crop/200,150,400x300/resize/800x600/web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/sample0.png )
  • Now edit this image in your favorite drawering program. Main idea: ADD DETAIL.
  • Do not edit the outermost ten pixels on each edge. Leaving the outermost pixels alone will make the stitching-together of images more convincing.
  • Note that anything you draw in the center 400 by 300 pixels is subject to alteration by the next entry. The stuff you draw in there should be only a hint to the next entrant and should not be rendered with painstaking effort or in exquisite detail.

Image.
  • That leaves the rectangle-with-a-rectangular-hole-in-the-middle part for you to work your magic. The stuff already present in this part of the image is a hint from the previous entrant. For best results, take the hint; it is always acceptable to just add detail to what's there. Of course you should feel free to add detail in unanticipated ways; just try not to completely subvert the essence of the previous image.
  • Signing up for slots: we will do this as the game progresses instead of at the beginning. If you want to draw the next image, post here and say you want to do it. EDIT If 24 hours elapses and you have not submitted the image, someone else can ask for the slot and we will decide what to do.
  • If you submit an image which doesn't adhere to these rules, especially the important ones (aspect ratio, properly centered and cropped) you may be asked to fix it. You may also be asked to touch it up it if it adheres to the rules but just doesn't "work" in some sense (if the stitching-together process breaks down for some reason). If something doesn't work, we'll have to leave it out and let some other image take its place, I guess. I don't know.
  • I will periodically provide links to the work in progress, although you can do this yourself as I mentioned above.
  • Finally, at some point, we will need to provide a last image which loops back around to the first one to make a seamless and endless zoom. We'll deal with that when we get to it.

That's the gist of it. This is not set in stone. If an amendment seems necessary we can make it.

Okay, let's get the ball rolling.

I will provide the first image.
Last edited by Saltine on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Saltine
Saltine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: Spamusement Zoom Quilt

Postby Saltine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 am

Okay, the first entry:

Anyone want to do the next one? Here's the starting point for you, which I helpfully got from urlimg.com again:
( http://urlimg.com/crop/200,150,400x300/resize/800x600/web.mit.edu/jcalz/Public/zoom/zoomsaltine.png )
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby Skimba » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am

Hmmm...interesting. Go-go-gadget spamusers!
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby traubster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I will have to get in on this at some point. Let me just say: you'll have to zoom into a human orifice. Which one, you ask? Stay tuned to find out!
"Not every moment can be awesome."
traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Clueless » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:08 pm

I promise to contribute as soon as I can. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do so this week.
Null wrote:I think it's a parallel to "Nero fiddles while Rome burns."

"The Emperor air-guitars while his realm atomizes."

:D :wink:
Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Saltine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm hoping I can at least persuade slydon to do one of these. HEY SLYDON DO ONE OF THESE if your swollen thumb allows it
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby slydon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 am

Okay dude, give me a few days to recoup, and I'll be on the mofo.
I'm seriously pondering an xkcd-style comic this week, or try to pull off 2 next week. :(
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Binkatron5000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:52 am

Oh, neat! As soon as I find my tablet pen I will join in. Well, after this weekend. Busy weekend. WOORGH!

EDIT:

P.S: I had always assumed that these were made in reverse.... so instead of zooming in to the person's image, you actually make it smaller and draw the next chunk of frame around it
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Saltine » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 am

Hey, yeah, that would work too. It might even work better. It may even be the way they did the other ones. I'm slapping myself in the head for not thinking about it.

Well, there's no reason we can't move this thing in two directions at once. So people should feel free to contribute in that way too (take the previous image, resize it to 400x300, and then expand the canvas to be 800x600 and draw new stuff around the outside). I don't think urlimg.com can do that for you ("cropping" outside the borders of an image doesn't work) but people have brains too.

That means entrants should specify whether they plan to add to the inward end of the chain (as I described in the first post) or the outward end of the chain (as Bink described).

Yay now there's twice as much stuff for me to be impatient about
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby slydon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Let's make a list so people aren't working on the same panel at the same time

-1) zoom out
0) Saltine (done)
1) zoom in

etc.
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:15 pm

I'll see how this pans out and then have a go, I don't want to make an image that messes it up early on. That probably suggests that I want to mess it up late on, but that's not what I meant at all.
MysticalDescent

Postby Saltine » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I am like a dog at home alone waiting by the front door, each noise bringing anticipation and disappointment. What if my masters never come back? :Howls:
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby slydon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Have a milk bone and chill out.
<Takes the +1 spot.>
-1) ??
0) Saltine
1) Slydon
2) ??
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby chrismachine » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:11 pm

3) profit.

-2) loss?
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby slydon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm

The problem is that the picture doesn't really hint at what's in the middle. You've already set up +1 for failure. :(
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Saltine » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Well, it's a TV screen. Just about anything in there would be fine.

I was aiming for "canvas on which the next artist could create as he or she saw fit", not "maddeningly generic void against which no idea can find purchase". Oh well.
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby slydon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:22 am

I'm essentially adding details to a creamsicle. I'll do what I can with this, ok?
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Saltine » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:43 am

You're mooooody. Almost as if I repeatedly pestered you into doing this... oh, right
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby slydon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:56 pm

whatever, Mr. I draw once every two years or so. j/k
slydon
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Clueless » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 am

Due to me desperately needing to take a break from studying, I'll take the -1 spot.
-2) ??
-1) Clueless
0) Saltine
1) Slydon
2) ??

Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Saltine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:58 am

I'm going to go ahead and relax that 24-hour constraint thing...
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby Clueless » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:22 am

There was a 24-hour constraint? Oh dear, I didn't notice. I'll hurry up and get it done as soon as I can.

Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Binkatron5000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 am

I still cannot find my tablet pen! And no way can I handle doodling with a mouse. Mnergh. On Friday I plan to do a mega house clean-up extravaganza, so here's hoping it turns up then. I'll probably find it in the back of the fridge or something. I found my glasses in the pantry once.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Saltine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 am

Clueless wrote:I'll hurry up and get it done as soon as I can.
No, don't worry about it. Somehow when I started this thread I fancied that everyone would be clamoring to do this at the same time. OH THE FOLLY OF LAST WEEK
--Saltine
Saltine

Postby giantsfan97 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 pm

If it's any consolation, when I read your first post I thought people would be all over this as well... it seems like a fun idea.

In retrospect, the rules (which make sense to have) feel a little daunting; like it would be easy to screw up.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Next

Return to We're Totally Artists