My band: Undercover Rabbis

For drawings and other artwork that don't necessarily have anything to do with Spamusement.

My band: Undercover Rabbis

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 pm

I've put up one album and one E.P. for free download here.

Let me know what you think. We're mostly instrumental/experimental improvised rock.

In case you're wondering, I'm listed as featured on the one track of the E.P. because I wasn't technically part of the band yet, and that's the only track I'm on. I was present for Swine Flu though, just didn't do anything for it.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Re: My band: Undercover Rabbis

Postby Null » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Downloaded but haven't listened to yet.

Incidentally, clicking on the Amazon links brings up a "Not found at Amazon" page.
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Awesome! Haha, yeah. As of yet, no label supports us.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Dusk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:12 am

Awesome. :lol:
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Null » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Just finished listening to the four I downloaded...overall, I quite liked them. I may get some more of their/your songs.

Swine Flu - reminded me a lot of the early Residents. Really, though, that guy yelling "Swine Flu" in the background didn't add anything.

Trainwreck of Alcatraz - seriously good bass playing on this one. Kind of meandered after a while, though.

The Boating Accident 1 - nice momentum on this, though I wondered in the first section if the drummer was supposed to sound like he was playing a different song?

The Boating Accident 2 - I really liked the atmosphere this one conjured up.

I should get out my digital recorders and do something. I keep telling myself that, anyway.
Null

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks guys!

Trainwreck was actually my second time recording with them as their bassman. Our second album is slightly more focused.

Our drummer tends to be kind of erratic. One jam was troublesome, because he would break into a different punk beat about every 5 minutes after playing something entirely different. He said afterward he wanted a more upbeat jam.

Also: the band pictures on the page are from when we played in the snow next to a slave grave. Unfortunately the guy we got to try to mix it didn't do a good job and all you can hear is guitar.

Null wrote:I should get out my digital recorders and do something. I keep telling myself that, anyway.

Maybe there's hope for another spamuser music telephone thingy that will actually go somewhere this time.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Dusk » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 am

Null wrote:Trainwreck of Alcatraz - seriously good bass playing on this one. Kind of meandered after a while, though.

Agree, agree.

Null wrote:I should get out my digital recorders and do something. I keep telling myself that, anyway.

Now I am, too. DO IT NULL, DO IT.

EvilJekyll wrote:Our drummer tends to be kind of erratic. One jam was troublesome, because he would break into a different punk beat about every 5 minutes after playing something entirely different. He said afterward he wanted a more upbeat jam.

Yeah, and while drummers can essentially drive the band with a fill or tempo change, they need to provide something consistent for everyone else to work off. PRIMA DONNAS, MAN. :roll:
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 pm

So did anyone listen to xHospital_Noise.? You guys only mentioned the songs from the Be Arrest EP.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Null » Thu May 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I've downloaded them, will try to listen later. I guess I didn't know there was more than the EP available. Are you on all the tracks for this one or only a couple?

I clicked on the "Play Undercover Rabbis Radio" thing and it started playing Bill Cosby...
Null

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 am

I'm on all of them on the hospital noise album. I was just on "Trainwreck" on the EP.

Thanks for listening. :)

The last.fm artist radio is kind of weird, as it plays what it thinks is similar to the music, and only sometimes the band whose page you're on.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Null » Fri May 07, 2010 2:52 am

Well, definitely more focused than the EP. What I like is that the bass keeps it all anchored. (This is not base flattery directed at the wikimaster who has made my wiki stuff palatable. Really!) The guitarist has some interesting textures, and the drummer at least tries to agree on the beat. The textures this time around are a bit less interesting, but the momentum is nice and straight-forward. My suggestion to the band: each of you should try something you are not familiar with. Switch instruments. Borrow unfamiliar instruments. Record it all, and if it's not something you'd release, figure out why and fix it. And I have to wonder: what happened to the sax-piano thing from the EP? Break out the sax and the piano! Overall, though, this is good stuff. My only other suggestion would be to hire me for lyrics and lead vocals, which I'd be happy to provide though it would alienate your audience beyond redemption. (In my defense, Dusk Bringer's lyrics are worse. Really.)

Overall, pretty good stuff. But... Imagine someone on a six hour car journey listening to this. What would make this hypothetical traveler keep listening?
Null

Postby Dusk » Fri May 07, 2010 8:41 am

Null wrote:Well, definitely more focused than the EP. What I like is that the bass keeps it all anchored. (This is not base flattery directed at the wikimaster who has made my wiki stuff palatable. Really!) The guitarist has some interesting textures, and the drummer at least tries to agree on the beat. The textures this time around are a bit less interesting, but the momentum is nice and straight-forward. My suggestion to the band: each of you should try something you are not familiar with. Switch instruments. Borrow unfamiliar instruments. Record it all, and if it's not something you'd release, figure out why and fix it. And I have to wonder: what happened to the sax-piano thing from the EP? Break out the sax and the piano! Overall, though, this is good stuff. My only other suggestion would be to hire me for lyrics and lead vocals, which I'd be happy to provide though it would alienate your audience beyond redemption. (In my defense, Dusk Bringer's lyrics are worse. Really.)

Overall, pretty good stuff. But... Imagine someone on a six hour car journey listening to this. What would make this hypothetical traveler keep listening?

Post of the month.
but =_= where have you read my lyrics? Geocities said they'd deleted them DELETED THEEEEEM
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 am

Null wrote:Switch instruments.

I don't think we did that right when we did that. It was the one of the worst things I ever heard when we played it back.

We usually use a variety of instruments, the album just happened to be from just one rather good jam.

If you want, you could send some vocals and I could see about using them. We're pretty open to trying new things.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby DaVince » Fri May 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Man, I still need to listen to this!

For some reason, earlier I thought the name was "Undercover Noise". That would actually still make a sweet band name, heh.
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Apparently I never mentioned I made a facebook page, and will upload new things there from time to time. I last uploaded 4 songs about two weeks ago.

We also played a basement gig a couple weeks ago at some guys house in a college town, but the recorder failed to record it. :(

As always feedback is welcome.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby DaVince » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Hey wow. The music's not bad. Or at least the melodies. It's got a bit too much feedback to my tastes.
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:48 pm

We put up an EP called 3 Ambient today. Three ambient tracks from the past year or so.

We'll be recording a high quality four song EP of songs that we actually wrote and practised two weeks in October. Again, feel free to leave some feedback if inclined. I know our past stuff has been kind of mixed bag, and we're more focused and productive since we have a new drummer. So we're feeling pretty good about the tracks we have for the new recordings.

Feel free to download/stream our songs at:
Bandcamp
ReverbNation
Last.fm

Also feel free to "Like" us on facebook. We're apparently not considered a real band unless we people who 30 like the band. :roll:
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm

We played our first show with our drummer this past Saturday. Things went well and the audience seemed pretty receptive, so that's good. I would've preferred if the sound guy actually had the mic on my amp on just a little. For some reason he didn't turn on the mic.

We'll hopefully either have some new tracks recorded or another show soon. We have one track that actually made it from our recording sessions the past few weeks that we hope to have a couple minor edits to so we can put it up. It's Turbulence of the Sun in the videos in the link down below. Tech difficulties and not being relaxed during takes led to unsuccessful takes, so we're just kind of playing the songs for fun (while recording) while working on a new song.

So for those interested, there are pictures and videos on our facebook page to those who aren't already fans/didn't see it yet. Link here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Underc ... 4141517727
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby DaVince » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Music's pretty cool! But the audio recording on that YouTube video is pretty horrendous, unfortunately. :P
DaVince
Makes LOLCATS

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:36 am

Thanks DaVince, unfortunately the recordings on youtube came out better than the audio recorder picked up (highly distorted.) The audio will probably be better at higher video quality as well, so YMMV.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 am

New single out soon! New album out whenever we get good recordings of remaining tracks during sessions!
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Here's the new single that we released today: http://undercoverrabbis.bandcamp.com/al ... he-horizon
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu May 17, 2012 12:06 am

So...lesson of tonight is don't be the band that opens for the entire show at 6:30...you wind up playing to the bartender, the sound guy, the next band, and a few other random people setting up stuff.

On the plus side, we're playing a show there on Saturday and have a feel for the venue and hopefully the same sound guy, and we also have another show in NYC at the end of the month. We also plan on going into the recording studio mid-June to record our five song album, so there's that too.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Null » Thu May 17, 2012 12:39 am

I read a book about Genesis (the band) and there was one concert they played early on where there was only one person in attendance. "Any requests...?" Peter Gabriel asked; receiving no response, they went ahead and did their set anyway.
Null

Postby EvilJekyll » Thu May 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Our set recorded pretty well at least. If you're curious, it's here.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Next

Return to We're Totally Artists