BLARGH Ideas, give them to me.

What? You like other sites besides Spamusement? Unacceptable!

BLARGH Ideas, give them to me.

Postby KatyM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 pm

So, I made a company blog. I am hoping people at my company will post things to the blog.

I want to make a list of subjects they could write about and post it on the wall.

The blog target: Anyone from the simple novice who wants to know what's going on with the business, to the person learning about computers, to the person who is a linux guru. I don't want any extremely heavy content (heavy in the sense that it is not n00b friendly,) but I want it to be appealing to most of the customers we get.

It will also be good to know that we are a local computer repair and sales place.

So, please give me some ideas. Right now, I've just cross-posted some relevant posts from my other blog about fake-alerts and laptop/desktop comparisons. I am trying to get my coworker to write a peice about his opinion on the new trojan out for OSX, as well as his opinions on the downfall of Limewire.

Also, if you're curious, the blog is at www.comprentoledo.com/blog. Please do not hack my website or anything, I haven't put much effort in to whining about the security to anyone.
KatyM
Makes LOLCATS

Re: BLARGH Ideas, give them to me.

Postby Null » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm

I would suggest a column or something, "How do I do that in Linux?" telling people how to do tasks they are familiar with in Windows, in a Linux environment. If you can show them how it's easier, or better, that would be a plus.

I've tried Linux a couple of times, but when getting help for simple things you run into forums where people say you need to "pipe the output through the kernel" or something and I'm all, "Forget it, forget it I say."
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby KatyM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm

One of my big goals for the blog is to NOT complicate things. At least, that's how MY articles for me. I write like I'm teaching a 5 year old. :P
KatyM
Makes LOLCATS

Postby Null » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Well, how about cartoons, then? Like spamusements, even. With a link here so Ponder will be happy.
Null

Postby KatyM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Null wrote:Well, how about cartoons, then? Like spamusements, even. With a link here so Ponder will be happy.

I'm afraid that's a little too simple :) Only work-related or field-related. Maybe the occasional cartoon if it is related to work/field stuff I think.
KatyM
Makes LOLCATS

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:02 am

something i always tell all of my clients: the importance of updating your software and OS when they become available instead of putting it off until you finally get sick of seeing the alerts
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby Null » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:39 am

sum yun gai wrote:something i always tell all of my clients: the importance of updating your software and OS when they become available instead of putting it off until you finally get sick of seeing the alerts

It's also important to make regular backups and System Restore points, because some of those software updates will kick a favorite program in the rucksack until it stops working.

Oh, and always always always put your data on external drive, even if just as a backup. Cos systems crash and thus take data with them. Into the rucksack.
Null

Return to The Internets