What should be my plan

What? You like other sites besides Spamusement? Unacceptable!

What should be my plan

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm tired of doing stupid boring work so I want to do some kind of internship abroad. I'm looking around and looking around, but it's proving difficult. Most of the website which provide such a service seem to cater solely to students, and the ones that don't would cost me hero levels of money (well alright, a few months' work). Currently the front runners are either a TV or radio internship in Perth, or some kind of go-to-Australia-and-stick-around-for-a-few-months-maybe-get-a-bar-job-who-knows. The first one would be pretty good for my CV, and the second is easier to pay for and involves me earning money, but has the CV-padding potential of having gone abroad and worked in bars for six months to a year. Or you know, I could go there and find non-bar work, but I wouldn't count on it.

So, I'm looking at places that will offer me something to do, but not require me to be a current student in order to apply. Can anyone be of assistance in this? Everyone who helps will receive a picture of a dog.

Receive is spelled with an ee, then an eye. Why can't I remember this? I used to be able to spell everything. My brain is turning to mush.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Re: What should be my plan

Postby jvcc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Doesn't Dusk live near Perth? Either way, he lives in Australia. GO FIND DUSKBRINGER. You two met up it would be an amazing moment for everyone on Spamusement.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Wait a second, what's this doing in the internets section? My brain is turning to mush.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Null » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10 am

I guess it is internet because there are links you can click on.

You could probably get a position as Dusk Bringer's houseboy. "HOUSEBOY!" he would yell. "These muffins are too lax. Fix them!"
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:55 am

I really want to push the Dusk/Enty meeting, but I'm also worried that so much awesome centered in one locale could have unanticipated ramifications.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am

Yeah, it would have to be somewhere large and sparsely-populated, in case it became dangerous. If only Australia had anywhere like that.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:03 am

Ah yo Dusk while you're here

I looked for image macros picturing a ball of string nestled in cleavage with the caption 'allow me to draw your attention to this thread' but apparently nobody with ready access to such props has come up with the idea yet. Sorry.

But anyway, yeah. What's Perth like? Is it a good place, or is everyone there miserable like here? Maybe that's just people who work for the NHS.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Dusk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Nobody has received any dogs.

Sorry, man. I really haven't been around much otherwise I would have replied much earlier.
Ok, let's see. Hmm. My friend and his boss came to Perth last weekend and it turns out I'm a terrible tour guide. I had no idea where to take them and couldn't really talk up the place.
I've re-written this a few times because I've sounded far too negative about these types of working holiday things when I probably shouldn't be. Maybe they're great. I don't know.
Here are my first thoughts on seeing those websites and descriptions:
* The community radio is actually based north of Perth near Quinns Rocks and Two Rocks? Two Rocks is pretty much the epitome of butt-fork nowhere. I went fishing there once and there were landmines or bombs in the beach and angry seals.. But it looks like it's in Joondalup which is still a bit out of the CBD, but still civilized. Oh and they drive you there and back, so that's ok. Probably best that it's not available during December stroke January as you would probably melt.
* I can pretty much promise you that no one in the entire area has heard of that radio station, but that shouldn't really weigh into your decision, I suppose.
* ECU is probably rated #3 out of the 4 major Universities in the area.. (sorry everyone I know who went there). Once again, not very important.
* I have run into heaps of English and Irish people over here. I sit near a Welsh temp. A lot of English tend to stay in the backpacker hostels around the city and travel to Cottesloe Beach, perv on the women and get drunk.
* Perth is regularly called "Dullsville". Quite frankly, I don't like it all that much and I'd rather move back to Melbourne. Compared to the cities on the East Coast we have a lot less going on culturally and entertainment-wise. Desert-wise we're on a winner and we have lots of coastline, so plenty of beach. Sunny and laid-back. No real smog.. They just recently allowed shops to be open after 6pm. :roll:
* If you want to go to Melbourne or Sydney from Perth, it's quite a distance and, therefore, expensive. Flights between the major Eastern cities are very cheap, though.
* If you're going to work in hospitality in Perth you'll meet a lot of boofheads and men coming in from the mines on weekends who get drunk and angry.
* I don't know about those farm stay things. Five days is not enough to learn how to ride a horse and crack whips and whatnot. Also, brumbies.
* If this had happened about 5 years ago I probably would have invited you to stay with me and cut a drunken swathe across the face of the continent, but I have grown old and childful. Still, if it does all come together for you, you'd be most welcome to call on me. So yeah, even if it all falls apart, you would never have to sleep on the streets or be forced to sell your body for food.

Anyway, sounds like you need a change in direction. Radio might be good, but I really think you should write. Just keep writing. Stories, anecdotes, articles, blogs, whatever. Many of us enjoy reading your words and it may lead you somewhere.
Ok, it's late and I really need some sleep. Sorry if I wasn't much help. I think it really would be a "suck it and see" (for lack of a better saying) situation. How much you enjoy it would depend on the people you're with, the place you stay, the job itself.. all wildly variable.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.
Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Ah words. Thank you.

My tablet doesn't seem to be working. Dog pictures will follow.

So yeah, the information regarding where this place is in Perth is most useful. As for the listening of the radio station, that ain't a thing of concern. Whether it gets listened to or not, it can go on my CV. But I'm rather thinking that the East side of Oz would be rather better to hang around in. I will further investigate! Well, actually I'm not sure what further investigation would be useful. But I need to build up some funds anyway; my current job is not covering the cost of having the job. A not-in-London job or an in-London-but-paying-much-more job will be necessary.

Ah, excellent. I assume my tablet's drivers are for some reason dead or stupid, and the website doesn't appear to know this model exists. So, uh, that tablet was kind of neat hey. Who knows how to fix a tablet?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Okay, it's working. I had to go and find the CD that came with the box. Also, I have no idea where the spare pen-sticks have gone.

Carefully shaded using the mash-your-fat-finger-right-onto-it-and-squidge-it-around-a-bit tool.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 pm

COOL.
BEANS.
:)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:39 pm

I think I might go to Canada instead, because I have enough money to do that. If only BUNAC's Canada application link didn't link to their Summer Camp USA scheme. I juuuust need to move some money from the building society to the bank so I can pay for it.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:13 pm

What'sa matta with the U.S.?

You should hang out with Bink or Chrism, then. Never mind if they're busy. I have decreed it!
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm

If you came to Ottawa I would take some time, or at least help you plan some things.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

jvcc wrote:What'sa matta with the U.S.?

Well, the trouble with the US is that I can't find a way to arrange a working thing there. I'm looking to do it through BUNAC, and their 'Work America' thing is only open to students (they have volunteer schemes, but they seem to consist of going to a national park and working there with other volunteers, whereas I'd rather be living amongst the humans). So I've looked at just getting a working visa and doing the thing my dang self, but that ain't so easy. I can either get a short-term one, which appears to have me tied down to a particular job for my entire stay and limits the areas in which I'm actually permitted to work (although realistically, bar work and the like would be what I'd be doing, so that's not so bad), or I can get a long-term one, which is rather more free but requires me to find a real job, which would be rather difficult to get seeing as I can't get one here and you apparently have less employment than us.

Either way, I have to have an employer already sorted out in order to apply, and I really have no idea where to start with finding such a thing. Anyone in need of dashing international staff for their place of business? I have this exquisite British accent.

chrismachine wrote:If you came to Ottawa I would take some time, or at least help you plan some things.

Thanks, that would be a delight. I'd be able to go wherever I pleased, although the main support centres for the scheme are in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, so those are probably where I'd end up working. Two of those seem to be fairly close by, though. It would be a grave disappointment to be in Canada for some length of time and have no dealings with you Canadian spamusers.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:55 am

ntw3001 wrote:Anyone in need of dashing international staff for their place of business? I have this exquisite British accent.

I have two friends that each own bars. But, oh well, you're not coming to the US.

enty wrote:It would be a grave disappointment to be in Canada for some length of time and have no dealings with you Canadian spamusers.

I agree.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby chrismachine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Montreal is 3 hours from Ottawa, and Toronto is about 4.5 hours from Ottawa, while being about 6.5 hours apart from each other. Toronto living costs are the Canadian equivalent to London (ie. expensive if you want to live within the city and somewhere decent) but it really is the most urban center with the most to offer. Ottawa is pretty decent for jobs and job-finding agencies, but requires French knowledge for anything in the public service. Bars would not, nor would other private businesses. Montreal, though, is like 65% French-speaking, so while you would most certainly be able to get by as even the French-speaking citizens almost all speak enough French to communicate with you, it would have the potential to limit your employment. It also is a very urban city with a lot to offer you in terms of an experience. Also, the French spoken here sounds like the gutter English from Pygmalion (sp?) compared to the French of France, but it is fairly harmless. Vancouver I don't have much information about, but it would be way more like your climate, it is a bit expensive, but is a sexy place to live right now. There are some cool new facilities due to the olympics as well. A visit with me would be out of the question, lol. Anyway there are no less than 7 different companies here whose only business is providing people who walk into their place of business with some sort of office work, so if that interested you it would be fairly simple, if you can live with the fact that you will be making $14/hr for a job where the guy next to you could be making $18.50 because he got hired directly. That is offset by your ability to get a job fairly quickly (I did this last summer and had an interview and a job the day after I walked in). If you can lift things, there is also a place called labour ready, where you show up at six in the morning and read the paper until some company or other calls and says they need unskilled labour for that day, and they will tell you where to go and by what time. You then work, get your sheet signed, and they pay you some $12/hour for your work for whatever time they needed you for. That one is a bit less desirable, but for those needing money there is usually work there. We also have a car system where you buy a membership (the company is called virtucar), and book a car for a day you need it. They own parking spaces all over the city, so you pick up your car at a spot near you (there is a key box with a code), and simply return the car with a full tank as it was when you got it, and I think there is a small per-use fee or something as well, but it saves you needing to rent or own a car. I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can. :)
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Skimba wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:Anyone in need of dashing international staff for their place of business? I have this exquisite British accent.

I have two friends that each own bars. But, oh well, you're not coming to the US.

Colorado, eh? That does sound rather appealing. But the trouble is, I'm rather terrified by the idea of going without some kind of agency people to fall back on. If I were just travelling around of course, it'd be different, but I'm rather bewildered by the complexity of arranging my own visa and such, as well as the apparently rather draconian constraints of the working visas available. So Canada and Australia are still more appealing. If your friends are offering excellent money for dashing international staff, though, just, uh, you know. I have this exquisite British accent.

Chrism, that's all terribly useful information thank you. I've very little facility with French, although I'm sure I'd be able to get by, sort of.

Toronto or Vancouver sound like the best cities, and if $14 per hour is the kind of money I can expect for stupid-work in an office then that's okay. The exchange rate says it's a fair chunk more than I get for stupid-work here; not an uncomfortable amount to live in a London-priced city with. It sounds pretty appealing. Ah yes, and one other question: How easy would it be to find a place to live? Because this thing appears to offer me one night in a hostel after arriving, and then I'm on my own. I assume I'm expected to stay in the hostel while looking, but never having moved before I'm not sure how long it might take.

All that said, now I'm undecided whether to go with Canada or Australia. My parents seem willing to help me out with funding, since all I'm lacking is the 'prove you have money' money (I have enough to cover the cost of the scheme itself). Plus, they're much more amenable to the Australia idea because they know people there, whereas they don't in Canada. I figure it's not worth telling them that I know Canadians from the internet.

Anyway, in either case they haven't announced any dates for their 2011 arrangements yet, so I've got a while yet to be conslitherin' things. In the meantime, I'll be trying to fill a swimming pool with money.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby chrismachine » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 am

Renting somewhere is not hard. There are reference checks for anywhere decent, especially if you intend to live somewhere alone rather than a rando roomie who may or may not suck. You should have no trouble arranging that in advance though, if you can find someone who will deal over the phone. I'm certain with the number of renters from out of town who come in for our two universities, it isn't uncommon. In TO, I have friends who rent and who could send me some info if you start to get serious. The hostle in Ottawa is very comfortable and in the old jail (like pre-confed old) that now operates as a museum as well. I'd imagine it's alright in other places. Also, minimum wage is at $10 so if you look for light evening work you won't get fleeced either.
chrismachine

Postby Binkatron5000 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 am

Yeaaaa! I am somewhat useless in terms of advice. Vancouver is pretty and has much better climate! Montreal, you can totally get by in English and it's such a great city with so much character. Plus I have family there, but they are loud and weird and very french :). Except the one who owns the tattoo shop, he's English, so if you want a discount tattoo or peircing tell them you're my friend! Toronto, never been (BUT HEY I am going to Toronto in June!) but knowing a guy who knows a guy can be quite handy dandy for this sort of stuff. ChrisM you roxxorz.
I'd say come to Saskatchewan but... it might not be the best place for a supertastic Canadian experience. We're anticipating much flooding thanks to the immense amounts of rain that saturated the ground, and the immense amounts of snow waiting to melt (with nowhere to go). Plus its very flat. There is AMAZING locally brewed beer here though ^_^
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 am

I swear Binks, one day I'm just going to head north and when I get there, I'll just shout "BINACAAAAAAA!!! BINKATRONICAL BINKBINKBINK WHERE ARE YOUUUUUU?" over and over until I find you or you see some crazy on the news who kept shouting the above. That'd be me.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Binkatron5000 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 am

Skimba wrote:I swear Binks, one day I'm just going to head north and when I get there, I'll just shout "BINACAAAAAAA!!! BINKATRONICAL BINKBINKBINK WHERE ARE YOUUUUUU?" over and over until I find you or you see some crazy on the news who kept shouting the above. That'd be me.

Haha I'd come haul your butt out of trouble :D
Do that at the university and someone will eventually figure it out ;) I pretty much live there.
That reminds me of the first time I wore my robot costume on campus. I was wandering outside on the campus green with a robo-buddy, and my supervisor happened to step out into the general area and he somehow recognized me all the way across the green. "BIANCA??!?!?! HEY IS THAT BIANCA OVER THERE??!" Hah, maybe I have a distinct walk or something. It was odd because until that point I don't think I talked about robots to him.

BACK TO ENTY ADVENTURE TIME!
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby PonderThis » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 pm

I totally think Enty should find some way to make it to North America. Canada, US, Mexico, wherever! 8)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Alright, alright. I got tired of being 'planning to book this when I have the money', so I let my overdraft do the talking. One of they visas what they does is reserved and I is waiting for a list of flight dates. That is, unless something goes terribly wrong with my attempt to give them my money, or I turn out to be some kind of criminal or something. Juuust waiting for them to email me with confirmation that everything is going swimmingly.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Zut alors! You people and your seventeen-page application that must be sent to Paris are, well, probably fairly reasonable I suppose. But I ought to be given special dispensation because I don't feel like filling out this many forms. I mean, I'm going to anyway, but I won't enjoy it. Just so you know.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Next

Return to The Internets