Amusing News Articles

What? You like other sites besides Spamusement? Unacceptable!

Re: Amusing News Articles

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 am

ntw3001 wrote:Why did they include a poll?

I don't know how they came to this conclusion. Unless the theory is that bottled water doesn't prevent dehydration by itself, and must be correctly applied to obtain the benefit.

Wait, were the bottled water people actually using this claim to advertise in the first place? Is there some sweeping trend amongst advertisers to indicate that food items are intended to be eaten?

"Dude...you look awful...you're that dehydrated that you're actually shrivelling up."

"Ha! Never! I have in my house the world's largest collection of bottled water. I sit amongst my bottles every day. If anything, I'm overhydrated."
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby EsBe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 am

MysticalDescent wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:Why did they include a poll?

I don't know how they came to this conclusion. Unless the theory is that bottled water doesn't prevent dehydration by itself, and must be correctly applied to obtain the benefit.

Wait, were the bottled water people actually using this claim to advertise in the first place? Is there some sweeping trend amongst advertisers to indicate that food items are intended to be eaten?

"Dude...you look awful...you're that dehydrated that you're actually shrivelling up."

"Ha! Never! I have in my house the world's largest collection of bottled water. I sit amongst my bottles every day. If anything, I'm overhydrated."

"Well I was always so dehydrated but I hated the taste of municipal water, so now I liberally season my water with gourmet sea salt and I can't get enough!"
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby PonderThis » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:22 am

That is so very funny.

Maybe if the water bottlers were to relabel their product "Dihydrogen Monoxide" they could get a second go at that whole "hydration" labeling thing.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:11 pm

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Binkatron5000 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:58 pm

PonderThis wrote:D'AWWWWWWWW

That was cuuuuute! I love the huge grin he wears the entire time :D
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:44 pm

This isn't really serious news, but it wouldn't fit very well in the gaming thread either. Either way, this poopcakes is bananas:
Spectacularly terrible customer service.
The most comprehensive summary of events I've seen thus far.
Reddit thread

Working for a company that sells things over the Internet, and that is small enough not to have proper pre-order systems in place and to occasionally have difficulties with the timely delivery of stock, I have some experience of awkward exchanges with anxious customers, but my reaction to the situation (when I'm involved at all, which is increasingly rare) is generally guilt and shame, not contempt and rage. Christoforo flies off the handle so suddenly and with such vigour as to put onlookers at serious risk of whiplash.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby chrismachine » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 am

That was all quite fascinating...
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Skimba » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 am

I've only read the first so far (I less than three PVP and go to Penny Arcade quite a bit also) and I know it's all in e-mails, but WOW...the spelling and grammar and sentence structure broke my brain. And, of course, the silliness of it all.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby James » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:50 pm

What's really grim is that Christoforo's idea of a humble apology is "I didn't realize you were such a big deal, what can I do to make this go away?". He's so self-centred he doesn't even see how shallow his repentance looks. As has been pointed out, he's not so much saying "I'm sorry for the wrong that I did" as he is "I'm sorry that I got caught". The implicit message of his apology to Krahulik is either "you're only deserving of a level of respect proportional to the degree of good or harm that you can do me", or "only people who have achieved something I deem valuable or impressive are worthy of basic civility". It's altogether a fairly decidedly unpleasant way to approach human interaction.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Absolutely. He totally deserved every criticism/flack he got.
Through the Reddit thread, I found another person's correspondence with him from February through June 2011.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 pm

The old 'I was only a dick because I didn't think you coould do anything to stop me' argument. If I were in Mike Krahulik's position I would definitely, definitely have felt awful about it as soon as he started begging. I am too soft-hearted, see.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Reading his Twitter feed, it's clear that he still has almost no comprehension of what the actual problem was. He even has the gall to blame his insane outburst on the customer getting "a little nippy" with him.

Obviously it's pointless for me to follow this story, but it's somehow simultaneously satisfying and frustrating, which compels me to stick with it. I do hope it doesn't blow over within a few weeks like he says it will. I mean, obviously it will no longer be news, but surely a man's professional reputation mustn't survive such outrageous behaviour, particularly when he shows no real remorse for his behaviour or desire to correct it.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Binkatron5000 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:34 pm

James wrote:Reading his Twitter feed, it's clear that he still has almost no comprehension of what the actual problem was. He even has the gall to blame his insane outburst on the customer getting "a little nippy" with him.

Obviously it's pointless for me to follow this story, but it's somehow simultaneously satisfying and frustrating, which compels me to stick with it. I do hope it doesn't blow over within a few weeks like he says it will. I mean, obviously it will no longer be news, but surely a man's professional reputation mustn't survive such outrageous behaviour, particularly when he shows no real remorse for his behaviour or desire to correct it.

Affirmative. The situation being "simultaneously satisfying and frustrating" (Murray, 2011) is remniscent of the emotions elicited in the present author when she reads too many stories from The Customer is Not Always Right and other such webpages.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.
Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 am

Hey, you know about brains and stuff. What would you call that apparently paradoxical combination of sensations? Some form of cognitive dissonance?

I seem to remember hearing about some clever guy fairly obsessed with the ability of the brain to hold two seemingly contradictory ideas or thoughts at once, probably in my philosophy course. Let's hear it for dimly-recollected vague concepts!
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:35 am

Binkatron5000 wrote:Affirmative. The situation being "simultaneously satisfying and frustrating" (Murray, 2011) is remniscent of the emotions elicited in the present author when she reads too many stories from The Customer is Not Always Right and other such webpages.

I agree with you. I love reading that site, but it makes me shake my head in frustration/anger/remorse/hilarity/astonishment all at once.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Last edited by James on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Binkatron5000 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:41 pm

James wrote:Hey, you know about brains and stuff. What would you call that apparently paradoxical combination of sensations? Some form of cognitive dissonance?

I seem to remember hearing about some clever guy fairly obsessed with the ability of the brain to hold two seemingly contradictory ideas or thoughts at once, probably in my philosophy course. Let's hear it for dimly-recollected vague concepts!

Hmm, cognitive dissonance in a sense, although that moreso refers to the discomfort that a person feels when they realise they are holding contradictory feelings/beleif/whatever. I'm not sure what to call the actual act of experiencing contradictory feelings. I also have no idea about the underlying neural mechanisms, but considering that our brain is incredibly complex and capable of processing a gigantic amount of information simultaneously, it's not suprising that it is possible.

A vaguely-related concept that came to mind is synesthesia! Basically, a strange combination of sensations where one might elicit another. For example, seeing numbers might elicit colour perception, such that a person actually sees numbers in colour (even though they are not!). Or, to see landscapes when doing maths, to taste music, etc etc. It's thought to occur when the brain areas responsible for processing various sensations end up overlapping or forming a connection to the point where it is impossible to separate the two sensations.

ANYWAYS, No point to this post, just speculating / rambling.

Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 pm

Binkatron5000 wrote:[...] considering that our brain is incredibly complex and capable of processing a gigantic amount of information simultaneously, it's not suprising that it is possible.

Indeed, but it's worth bearing in mind that most of us spend most of our time not considering quite how incredibly complex and capable of processing a gigantic amount of information simultaneously our brains are.

Binkatron5000 wrote:A vaguely-related concept that came to mind is synesthesia!

YES YES I'M ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH THAT TELL ME SOMETHING NEW PLEASE. JESUS.

(Only joking.)

I don't really experience synaesthesia in any significant sense, although I suppose it does relate to how strongly smells can be associated with very specific memories, which is pretty weird to me. For example, the smell of that special edition Amnesiac book brings me back to a moment sitting at my very first decidedly unpleasant wobbly white desk playing Descent on my very first IBM-compatible PC from way back when the x86 processor architecture was referred to as "IBM-compatible", listening to something on my crappy old tape player. That memory must be from way before Amnesiac came out, but I guess something else around at that time smelt similar. Or it's just the muddled and opaquely-associative nature of memory (at least, my memory).

SO, NEWS.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Binkatron5000 wrote:our brain is incredibly complex and capable of processing a gigantic amount of information simultaneously

This sentence reminds me of these guys. Has someone been hogging the good brain? Was it you, Skimba?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby Skimba » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:26 am

Maybe.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Postby PonderThis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 am

Skimba wrote:Maybe.

A ha! That's why I've been so dumb lately. Skimba's been hogging the good brains! :P
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Man shoots nail into brain without noticing. Right in there. In the centre. Brilliant.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Man shoots nail into brain without noticing. Right in there. In the centre. Brilliant.

Obviously the part of the brain he hit was the part that remembers things like shooting oneself in the head with a nail gun.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby chrismachine » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 pm

The nail is facing the wrong way for that to have entered through his forehead...
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby Skimba » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 am

Conspiracy.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

PreviousNext

Return to The Internets