BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: BLURT thread

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm

ntw3001 wrote:
Jeeesus i spent last night with a couple of particular folks and boy howdy don't they know how to make a dude feel like poopcakes. I think I shall have to avoid their company in future, which is a shame because I was pretty tight with them in Canada. But I spent the evening trying to convince a town planner and a receptionist that I'm worth knowing and that ain't worth the angst.

Those types of people are everywhere, in varying degrees of severity. I thought for the longest time nobody could be happy working retail, and the only people working at stores were those on their way to something better if younger, or who didn't have a chance or a choice if older. My wife taught me that wasn't true. Even if she doesn't like her job most days, she does it because she likes working with people, and doing something she can leave behind when she goes home. These folk sound more like they're genuinely elitist.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:00 am

I start teaching my second class ever today. In nine hours. I need to fall asleeeeep.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

It's good to see Clueless back around and posting good funnies. Seeing all those new cartoons made me feel like a piker so I kicked myself in the butt and drew a new one myself. Yay Clueless!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby jvcc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 pm

BRITISHERS: What is generally thought of Dorset? Thomas Hardy came from there, and his novels tend to be set in provincial English towns where people farm and talk in folksy dialect. But while reading "Drummer Hodge" I couldn't help noticing this line: "homely Northern breast and brain." So I'm either wrong about Dorset, or I need to reevaluate my assumption that people from Southern rural communities don't participate in the sort of "South smart/North dumb" thinking that I associate with more wealthy and metropolitan areas of Southern England. By the way, I recognize that's I'm simplifying things and that this sort of prejudice was more common in the past than it is today.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Most people over here don't make such distinctions anyway.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 am

I'd probably be inclined to read more into Hardy's own opinions than the general mood of the age (after all, he's a writer, not a reporter). He's known for having a thing about classism, so I'd expect those attitudes to come through in his writing. As far as that divide goes, to an actual Dorset farmer I imagine Northerners wouldn't have any particular expectations placed upon them than any other 'outsider'. Not many characters in Hardy's books would ever have left their small corner of Wessex, so I doubt there would have been enough of a relationship with 'The North' to form a stereotype.

But that's assuming the character referred to is actually from the North, rather than North Wessex (in which case it would be a sign of the kind of parochial frame of mind common pretty much anywhere, but on a localised scale compared to the regional and national stereotypes that exist in modern countries). So: I think it may reveal something about Hardy's own attitudes, but I don't think I'd read it as revealing any grand social truth.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:42 am

That may be Thomas Hardy's opinion, but I personally wouldn't en-Dorset.

I'm sorry. I promise that if you read on, I won't do anything like that again.

I actually visit Dorset on a surprisingly semi-frequent basis. It seems that every other year I end up spending a bit of time in Bournemouth. It's a really nice town when the weather is pleasant. My opinion of the entire region is derived entirely from there, which I suppose isn't particularly helpful as Bournemouth was actually a part of Hampshire until 197somethingorother.
MysticalDescent

Postby Skimba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm

I made an internal promise to myself to try and not compalin about the heat or cold here anymore, unless it is truely extreme. However, I can still Blurt about all the heat that is needed in the winter drying me out so that I woke up this morning, stretched and promptly my nose started to bleed, right?
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby IanC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Got my Raspberry Pi today.

Neat little thing!
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Low-Tech » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Well, the temperature outside is lower in degrees than my shoe size.... yeesh..... call me in March when it's over.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him eat a salami sandwich.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CIA intra-cranial broadcasts
Low-Tech
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby chrismachine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:36 pm

I can almost say the same thing... Good thing my shoe size is -27 though, off by one!
chrismachine

Postby PonderThis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am

IanC wrote:Got my Raspberry Pi today.

Neat little thing!

That is a neat little thing! A whole lot of interesting info under "FAQs". Sounds like it'll be fun to play with. Keep us informed!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby IanC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I gave it a quick test last night, just to check it works. I got it with a SD cCard with the optimised Linux build on it (which is a free download, but it wasn't too much for a 4gb card preloaded) and a case. Plugged it in (a USB charging cable which i have tons laying around), plugged in my Macs keyboard and mouse and connected it to my TV... and it just worked :D So now im thinking what to use it for, hmmm...
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 am

Oh cool! I was under the impression it was a gizmo for coding and stuff and wouldn't just "work" as a normal computer based on most of the comments and stuff.
chrismachine

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 am

it's used quite frequently by people who like to write device drivers for their toaster or install linux to their car radio, but there are limited uses for it if you aren't quite that committed to coding, imho.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:02 pm

My sister's fiancee is planning to use one as some kind of home entertainment hub. I believe its job will be to direct communications between multiple devices, so he can drag stuff from the computer in the study onto the TV (or whatever). Nothing that can't already be done with other devices, but he wants to make a project of it and learn a bit about programming and such.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 am

I went to a semi-traditional Burns Night yesterday! This gathering was attended solely by English grad students--by that I mean American grad students majoring in English. No one wanted haggis, so someone made meat pies (which I didn't eat since I'm vegetarian). There was Scotch, too. We read some of his poetry out loud and our most musically-talented friend played Scottish folk songs on his mandolin and some sort of flute thing. We went around the room and toasted Robert Burns, then the men gave a toast to the women and the women a toast to the men. Things got a bit confusing culturally because my friend got his mandolin from his Italian grandmother, and as he played it my other friend tried teaching us a Greek folk dance. But overall the evening was a success.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 pm

BBC News said that real haggis is illegal in the US anyway, due to sheep lung not being considered a food. No complaints from me; I'd try haggis if it were presented to me, but I'm not inclined to seek it out.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:21 pm

ntw3001 wrote:BBC News said that real haggis is illegal in the US anyway, due to sheep lung not being considered a food. No complaints from me; I'd try haggis if it were presented to me, but I'm not inclined to seek it out.

They talked about that on QI. They said that people used to smuggle it in illegally from Canada.

I'd also like to point out that we found our all-time favorite Burns poem: "Cock Up Your Beaver."
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm

lol, I read that in university.
chrismachine

Postby jvcc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I am forced to overhear a lot of conversations in my communal office. My least/most favorite are those that take place between two older women who are returning to school now that their kids are grown. The other day these two women were talking about the things you're "not allowed to say" in the liberal college world. Their first, their very first example was how you can't "say anything remotely positive about colonialism." Apparently it "did good things too."
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby Skimba » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 am

I LOVE NOT HAVING PANTS ON!
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:08 am

Skimba wrote:I LOVE NOT HAVING PANTS ON!

You really like wearing skirts that much?

:P
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I hate tomorrow, for numerous reasons (not just because its valentines day for once! Though that is a part of it :))
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm

HAPPY FRUIT DAY Everyone! I am currently eating a pear.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above