A whine and complain thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: A whine and complain thread

Postby PonderThis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 pm

I just noticed that photobucket's rearranged crap and they're messing with my image file names. Grrrr! :x
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Clueless » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 am

Ever had one of those weeks when you can't seem to get anything done?
Null wrote:I think it's a parallel to "Nero fiddles while Rome burns."

"The Emperor air-guitars while his realm atomizes."

:D :wink:
Clueless
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Is there another kind?
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm

I know that there's an obvious solution to this, so it probably doesn't warrant whining about, but I will do so anyway. I have made two new best friends at my university, both of which are female. I came out as bi to one of them very early in our friendship, because we were at a bar and I was drunk. The other friend was with us at the bar, but she had gone to restroom. I didn't intentionally exclude her from this coming out, since I hadn't planned it, but I still haven't come out to her. And I haven't tried to deceive her, but society being what it is if you mention that you've had boyfriends or are attracted to men, people will automatically assume that you're straight instead of entertaining the possibility that you are attracted to women in addition to men.

I can't figure out how to tell her. And at this point we've gone out alone together to eat or see movies or get drinks, so I don't want her to think that I'm interested in her in a romantic way. I hate this because it makes me feel like I've lied to her, even though she's the one who's made the assumption, one which is perfectly normal to make.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Well if it's bothering you, tell her that you don't think it's terribly important to discuss but that it's bothering you so you're just going to mention it for that reason. Setting it up like that will make it a bit more of a framed statement and more weighty, but if it were going to come up naturally it likely already would have. Also you have no way of knowing if she'll feel it should have been important enough for you to bring up if you go that route, too.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby James » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 am

My suggestion, which as usual is probably said than done, is to pretty much explain it to her as you did here. It doesn't seem to me that you've done anything wrong, so I'd hope your friend would understand.

Alternatively, if you're more of a fan of probably-benign deception, you could try to rope your truth-knowing friend into feigning ignorance, then have a little coming out thing for the both of them, eliminating the "oh poopcakes is she coming on to me?" factor. Unless you end up coming across as doubly seedy, that is.

This is all assuming the only problem is that you told one and not the other, of course. If the prospect t of coming out sober is intimidating in general (which it imagine it probably is), I can't even pretend to have useful advice.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:27 am

My advice is to live the lie until it becomes a part of you. Be the mask.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby EsBe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am

ntw3001 wrote:My advice is to live the lie until it becomes a part of you. Be the mask.

Hmm, this guy sounds legit. :|
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby jvcc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm not very good at coming out to people. Firstly, I didn't realize that it's something you have to do over and over again. Secondly, to use an illustrative example, about two years ago I visited my hometown of a weekend with the express purpose of coming out to my mom. Once there she and I were getting ready to go somewhere and she was deciding which shoes to wear. She jokingly referred to a pair of comfortable but unattractive loafers as her "lesbian shoes." In my mind I thought, "Is this the moment? Is that a good segue? No, probably not."
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

jvcc wrote:I'm not very good at coming out to people. Firstly, I didn't realize that it's something you have to do over and over again.

Considered getting a "Bisexual" medical identification bracelet? Sounds like problem solved.

(Forgive me for making light of your dilemma, but it's what I do.)
EsBe

Postby James » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 pm

jvcc wrote:I'm not very good at coming out to people. Firstly, I didn't realize that it's something you have to do over and over again. Secondly, to use an illustrative example, about two years ago I visited my hometown of a weekend with the express purpose of coming out to my mom. Once there she and I were getting ready to go somewhere and she was deciding which shoes to wear. She jokingly referred to a pair of comfortable but unattractive loafers as her "lesbian shoes." In my mind I thought, "Is this the moment? Is that a good segue? No, probably not."

You should have wordlessly put on one of the loafers. But only one. Maintaining intense eye contact throughout.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby jvcc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm

EsBe wrote:
jvcc wrote:I'm not very good at coming out to people. Firstly, I didn't realize that it's something you have to do over and over again.

Considered getting a "Bisexual" medical identification bracelet? Sounds like problem solved.

(Forgive me for making light of your dilemma, but it's what I do.)

Don't worry about it. I'm making light of my dilemma. It's how I cope.

I have a rainbow-colored Pride bracelet, but then people will probably think I'm a lesbian (or maybe an ally, but probably a lesbian). Which isn't bad, but it's still not accurate.

James wrote:You should have wordlessly put on one of the loafers. But only one. Maintaining intense eye contact throughout.

James, you know how to come out like a pro.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby James » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:26 pm

If only it were a marketable skill. Or I had anything to come out about.

"Guys, there's something I've been wanting to talk about for a long time. There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to come out with it: I'm... quite a lazy person. You might not be able to accept that about me, but it's who I am. I hope we can still be friends."
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby EsBe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 am

Firstly, high five jvcc for probably annoying your friends and family as much as I do mine.

Secondly, just by coincidence I was reminded a day or two ago of a comedy sketch (which I thought was from Kids in the Hall, but was apparently from something called The Downer Channel):

Scene: The son walks in to a living room set, sees his parents sitting down reading.

Son: Mom, Dad, I have something to tell you.
(They put down their reading materials)
Son: You said no matter what I do, you'll always love me, right?
Mom: Right. What's on your mind?
Son: Mom, you'd better sit down. Here, have some tissues.

The son walks over to the stereo and turns on some melodramatic violin music.

Son (talking over the music): You said no matter what I do, you'll still support my decisions, right?
Mom: Right. (Uneasy) Why? What's wrong?
Son: Mom, Dad... (turns up the music) I'M MELODRAMATIC!
Mom screams and buries her face in her hands.
Dad looks as if his son came out of the closet. He picks up a lamp and smashes it.
Son poses dramatically showing all his mental anguish. The music is overpoweringly dramatic.
Son: Mom, stop. This is who I am. Maybe deep down on the inside, you're melodramatic too!
Dad: Noooooo!
Mom: Never!

The son gets up and walks out. The father yells as he leaves "Why can't you just be gay?!"
Son: "Because the ladies love it, Dad! I love the ladies!"

I would have linked a Youtube video if one existed. If it helps, just imagine the Kids performing it.
EsBe

Postby Skimba » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 pm

jvcc wrote:I can't figure out how to tell her. And at this point we've gone out alone together to eat or see movies or get drinks, so I don't want her to think that I'm interested in her in a romantic way. I hate this because it makes me feel like I've lied to her, even though she's the one who's made the assumption, one which is perfectly normal to make.

I usually just let things run their course and it somehow just ends up being known by friends of mine. Usually having made out with a girl in their vicinity gave them a clue. Once I had someone give me the "oh poopcakes, now what?" look, but I just told her I am the same person she's known and I didn't become friends with her because of any other reason than we became friends natuarally, and she was fine with that. I'd say the truth would be best. I wish I had better advice.
And yes folks, I still do have a long-term, live-in boyfriend.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby jvcc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I'm not very proactive about making out with women. Also, all the women attracted to women that I know are in relationships. Except one who I think has a crush on me, but I'm not attracted to her and don't want to lead her on.

I think I'll set a deadline for coming out to my friend. That might work.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm not sure if this is a whine and complain or not.

Not far from my house there is a reasonably busy road that comes off from a dual carriageway and leads into a residential area. As you drive away from the dual carriageway, on your left there is a junction leading to a pub and a McDonald's and just a little further along there is a roundabout. Since there's a supermarket with a petrol station on this roundabout, it can get reasonably busy there at certain times of day. Quite often, cars that have been to McDonald's or the pub have cause to get back onto the dual carriageway. Sensible drivers turn left and use the roundabout to turn around and head that way. When it's busy, this is a relatively quick way to get out. Less sensible drivers try to turn right, meaning that they have to get past a fairly steady stream of traffic coming from their right and join a fairly steady stream of traffic coming from the roundabout.

It's not particularly uncommon to come across the latter sort of driver. I suppose that if you don't know the area it might not immediately occur to you to go the other way, even if the roundabout really is not very far away from the junction at all. Today, on my way home, I was driving along the road as I normally do and join the small queue for the roundabout. As I'm slowing down, a man driving a white van, who appears to have been sitting waiting for a gap for some time, charges out in front of me. He is, at this point, completely obstructing one side of the road while he waits for a gap in the other side. Initially, he only came about three quarters of the way across me and stopped, so I made a sort of concessionary gesture to indicate that I was going to allow him to proceed along his course, as is standard when you let somebody out. At this point he then got out of his van, abandoning it in the road, and then started screaming 'WHAT IS IT' and 'SHUT YOUR MOUTH' over and over again in no particular order. He said the former more than the latter, I think.

This baffling array of shouting was met with my blankest expression and with me apparently being unwilling or unable to provide him with any kind of interesting response, he then got back into his van and swerved haphazardly into the steam of traffic, narrowly evading other vehicles. Throughout much of this period, a woman in the passenger seat was emitting an incredibly loud, surprisingly high pitched whine about something that was would probably confuse the world's foremost linguistics experts.

I'm not particularly whining or complaining about this. I'm just recounting it because he seems such a peculiar individual, really. I described him to somebody else as a 'simpleton', because it seemed fitting and I rather like that word. Maybe this is more common elsewhere. I was in New York for less than a week and saw an awful lot of people getting out of cars to punch each other. I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like this here before, though.
MysticalDescent

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 am

you've experienced american style road rage, congratulations! :P

one of my biggest pet peeves are drivers who feel like they should choose the difficult exit (like your van driver) rather than take an extra 10 seconds to ponder if there is possibly an easier way to do things. for all the time that man sat waiting for the perfect opportunity, he probably could have made several laps around the roundabout and *still* taken less time to get out than the way he did it. growing up in austin, texas, these drivers are everywhere and even to this day i can't stand driving there when i go back to visit. my two favorite moves are the one you described, where someone sits and waits and waits and waits and waits for their opportunity to turn against traffic. and the other is the driver who, despite the fact that i am the only person on the road, decides they MUST be in front of me to turn again half a block later, rather than wait the 10 seconds to let me pass first. and as the drivers of southern california have a reputation for craziness, i'd still rather drive in LA gridlock than austin. at least the LA drivers somewhat work together to get somewhere. in austin, i don't think the drivers can see beyond the end of their bumpers.

actually, i'd say my biggest pet peeve is people's general lack of critical thinking skills especially when it comes to driving, but i know i can't expect everyone to be able to put two and two together and come up with four on a regular basis :roll:
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby EsBe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm

I feel like the worst driving is in medium sized cities, to be honest. I have never lived in New York City, but I get the feeling that it self-polices against the worst kind of driving because, as you mentioned, the population density is high enough that no matter where you are, you're always within punching distance of someone if your driving happens to offend them. :)

Compare that to, say, the not-quite-suburbs of New Haven which feature absolute abominable driving just because people can get away with it.
EsBe

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:27 pm

I don't really see a lot of driving like that. Here is my story:

So I'm about here, in the right-hand lane, indicating left. About where that blue car is.Then some chap (who's probably had a rough day, poor soul) decides to undertake me, at about 90mph, juuust as I start to move across lanes. Right as a car is merging from that road on the left. The usual thing is for people to get into the right lane and let other cars in, but due to the traffic in which all this is taking place this guy takes the 'brake like a man who narrowly escaped a crash five seconds ago and might go ahead and have one now anyway' option. Everything is resolved safely and I avoid making eye contact as I pull up next to him at the lights a couple of hundred yards ahead. I sort of slightly wish I'd gone ahead and run him off the road, but the not-deliberately-initiating-car-crashes part of my brain kicked in (it's a large part).
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Four or five years ago I was on a dual carriageway when a man attempted to join from the slip road on the left. It's a pretty long slip road so if you're on it, you have a lot of time to pick your gap and get up to speed. If there's a car coming, the done thing is generally to slow down and slot in behind, or speed up and go on ahead. In this particular instance, had I been attempting to join then I probably would have slowed down and slotted in behind. The guy attempting to merge from the left did, in fact, speed up so that he was level with me and then kept pace with me perfectly. Perfectly. I'd have pulled out into the right hand lane to let him in, but I'd got two very fast moving cars coming up behind me. This was also in my first six months since I'd passed my test, so I was a touch nervous. The man continued to keep pace with me right up until he ran out of slip road, at which point he decided he would join the road anyway. I had absolutely no room to manoeuvre on the right but he forced me over anyway, causing me to narrowly miss being taken out by a Mercedes going at about 80 mph. I sort of ended up straddling both lanes while the man worked himself into a righteous fury. I can't quite remember how the whole thing resolved itself, but there was no accident and everyone went on unharmed. It was just an unnecessarily dangerous situation.

I think there is a general tendency for people to get in their car, manoeuvre themselves onto the road and then switch their brains off.
MysticalDescent

Postby chrismachine » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 pm

That is mostly true wherever you go. I am told in some parts of the orient you can straight purchase a licence to drive so I imagine it's worse there.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:43 pm

I bought a nature documentary series a while ago, and started watching it today. It wasn't David Attenborough. And not only was it not David Attenborough, it was about humans! I had only conceded to buy a documentary about *spit* humans on the understanding that it would feature, or at least be narrated by, David Attenborough. But now I've got all these DVDs of some common man talking about people and their stuff. It left a bitter taste.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Fri May 31, 2013 3:29 pm

With it being summer and everything I was looking forward to hanging out with my best friend, who lives about 45 minutes away, more often. We did get to spend some time together over the past few weeks, but he's started one summer undergrad class now and has no time to talk to hang out. What bugs me is that on three separate occasions he told me he'd call me later that day, and then didn't. Twice he apologized, but the third time I guess he just forgot.

I can't help but compare how he's acting now with how I acted during the last semester, when I was taking three graduate courses, teaching an undergrad class, and writing my thesis. I still had time to talk to him and I don't think that I neglected our friendship. So I'm upset with him, but I don't know if I should bring it up. He is just trying to do well in college, and I guess school might be harder for him than it is for me. But even so, I can't help but be hurt by this.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 am

Page 81 of the Random Thoughts thread keeps getting stuck and not letting me scroll down. It could just be that I have an older version of IE. Oh well, everything else seems to work fine (except my "n" key sticks :mrgreen: ).
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above