Web Site Changes And Maybe Ads For Us On Other Sites

All things Spamuser related! Talk about the forums, the wiki or your ideas for the site.

Re: Web Site Changes And Maybe Ads For Us On Other Sites

Postby Null » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 am

Some main page thoughts.

1 - I would suggest that the "About Us," "Forums" etc be given a larger area, to accommodate the graphics and written text. As it is, it looks like scribblings. This is not intended to be a criticism of your stellar work, Ponder--just a reaction.

2 - This is a bit trickier. Should the word "Fan" appear? I know we're all here because of StevenF, but he hasn't made a cartoon in, what, six or seven years? I would suggest, again without disrespect intended, that we're a fairly independent entity.

So how about, instead of "The Official Spamusement! Fan Site" it reads "The New Spamusement! Site." Maybe in the forums, "The Original Spamusements!" could add, "Find out why we're all here" or something. Or perhaps the "Spamusement!" button could read "The Original Spamusement! Find out where we came from" or some such.

3 - How about a glossary? We could explain what "internetless" means, and why I am right now.

4 - There isn't a fourth thought.
Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby PonderThis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 am

1. Comics on front page? First, programatically, I don't want to throw in the code that pulls the images out of posts on the front page. Second, I'm not sure tiny thumbnails next to the "ten latest" will work. I kinda based this "list approach" on StevenF's original spamusement site front page. I suppose I could do a comlete redesign and instead of the top 10 I could do the top 4, quarter the client area below the top title and show mini images there ... maybe later.
  2. Alternately, I could change the ads to link directly to the latest (or maybe first?) comic.
  3. Nav buttons/Random button on comics page: I like this, haven't gotten to it yet.
  4. Put in a bit more space for the "About Us/Forums" scribbles, added a bit of color to the scribbles, and enbiggened the "Latest Comics" header so it stands out against the scribblings.
  5. Yeah, being the Official Spamusement Fan Site just doesn't mean so much anymore. I just replaced that text with "Cartoons!"
  6. A glossary might be nice if any of this work I'm doing results in new people actually visit the forums which doesn't seem to be happening. :(

So anyways, I've slightly changed around the front page. As usual IE seems to be a bit weird. It looks good in IE10, but if I view the front page in IE's "compatability mode" the line spacing goes all wonky. If you have IE take a look and let me know your IE version and what you see.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EsBe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm

What about instead of grabbing from posts, using the images you've already cached and indexed?

I just think that without something visual on the front page, people are going to skip over the site. Even a single random comic selected from a pool of a dozen or so would do the trick (I cast my vote for "blau").
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Null » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm not in favor of thumbnails on the home page, but I'll admit my thoughts on this are my own. Part of the attraction of the cartoons, for me, is the disconnect between the subject line and the image. One sees the subject line ("Hey you totally forgot!!"), one's mind tries to conjure up an image, one clicks the line, and one is surprised and/or amused by the image one eventually sees. Putting thumbnails not only short-circuits that process,it also makes clicking to see the full image redundant.

That said, graphics of some kind on the front page would make it more interesting. Maybe a montage of our characters or memorable drawings, a random "greatest hit" cartoon like "Blau," or pictures of my cat. I just don't think we should "blow the punchline" of some of our jokes.
Null

Postby EsBe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Null wrote:That said, graphics of some kind on the front page would make it more interesting. Maybe a montage of our characters or memorable drawings, a random "greatest hit" cartoon like "Blau," or pictures of my cat. I just don't think we should "blow the punchline" of some of our jokes.

I'd be in favor of an in-joke/recurring character mural.
EsBe

Postby Null » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

This image would probably cause a number of folks to click. Their curiosity would be sadly unaddressed, however.
Null

Postby PonderThis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

What, you don't like my new scribblings? (PS hit Ctrl+F5 if you don't see different scribblings from before) I AM CRUSHED (no not really) PS how's the new "hey look at me!" border to the first comic link?

I'm with Null that the real comedy here is reading the title then the cartoon. It's the key to the whole "spamusement" idea. So if I leave the list as-is and maybe move to the left and put one or two random cartoons on the right. I could do that but I'm not really fond of the work involved.

OTOH, scribbling in some "greatest hits" in and around the borders on either side of the list ... I like that idea. I like it a lot. If you all want to nominate your favorite characters/comics maybe I can work something up.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on the comics page whenever I can steal a moment. It's ... arg. Annoying. First, the whole social buttons displaying and THEN resizing to get in line, thus making EVERY rickin'-frackin' COMIC "jump" when you first load the page is durned annoying. I've gotta fix that.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Nyperold » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby PonderThis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I've updated the comic display page. We have (1) a random button. It's not perfect but it should do. (2) Taken care of the worst aspects of the social buttons' resizing problems. If the comic image is sufficiently wide you won't see any "image jump" at all. If it's not wide enough you will see some repositioning but it's not as bad as before.

What? Use the wiki for the purpose for which it was designed? UNPOSSIBLE :o
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby chrismachine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 pm

I like all of this very much :D
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby PonderThis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09 am

A couple of classics that would do well as part of a Front Page mural:

Payday Doesn't Have to Wait (http://www.spamusers.com/comic.php?id=673)
PirateNinjaShark (http://www.spamusers.com/comic.php?id=1722)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby EsBe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am

PonderThis wrote:A couple of classics that would do well as part of a Front Page mural:

Payday Doesn't Have to Wait (http://www.spamusers.com/comic.php?id=673)
PirateNinjaShark (http://www.spamusers.com/comic.php?id=1722)

Mr. Gregory Hats (viewtopic.php?t=10830 broked link! :x)
Firemen! (viewtopic.php?t=8621 viewtopic.php?t=3026 viewtopic.php?t=12297 )
Robots! (viewtopic.php?t=12694)
Lincoln! (viewtopic.php?t=10166)
Crooooooooooooooow! (viewtopic.php?t=4372)
EsBe

Postby PonderThis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 am

I have implemented a caption tag! To see it in action, take a look at Empty Can's Final Extravaganza. I edited ED's post and replaced his font size/bold tags with caption tags so that the post looks identical to his original post, but now each subtitle shows up on the front page.

I have also implemented a captionwithurl tag, which I edited into Dween's 50th in place of the simple URL tag that had been there.

I added a new post the How to Post a Guest Strip sticky that explains caption usage. Edit: Wow, that's the first addition to that sticky in over seven years. At this rate it'll overflow onto a second page in 172½ years. :o
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:45 am

EsBe wrote:Mr. Gregory Hats (http://spamusers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10830 broked link! :x)

FIXIMATED!! 8) Also: Contact Mr. Gregory Hats [REDUX]

Ha, I didn't realize until just now that that first one is the Empty Can thread. Doubleplus good! :)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Nyperold » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm

PonderThis wrote:I have implemented a caption tag! To see it in action, take a look at Empty Can's Final Extravaganza. I edited ED's post and replaced his font size/bold tags with caption tags so that the post looks identical to his original post, but now each subtitle shows up on the front page.

I have also implemented a captionwithurl tag, which I edited into Dween's 50th in place of the simple URL tag that had been there.

My long-lined comics have now been captionated. I may have missed some, as I was eyeballing the lines as they appeared in my list and guessing whether or not the Subject box was too small for them, but I think I got all of them.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby PonderThis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm

OK, as to a front page mural ... I started the Yearbook idea SemiNomad came up with ages ago (Spamusement Yearbook: A Guest Comics Retrospective). And from there I stole several images and their links from James' linkable version. From there I created even more images and links and put the whole shebang here.

If anyone wants to add more, start with this template:

Now of course there's no way all that will fit on the front page, so I picked twelve that I thought would look good and created a test front page. Please take a look at it (http://www.spamusers.com) and let me know what you think. In the future I could have it randomly select twelve but that's a lot more work than I want to do right now.
Last edited by PonderThis on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Test main page is now the actual main page.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Null » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Ponder, I think that looks great! It looks intriguing enough that people will click to see the cartoons that spawned them.

I wonder, if there are several bunches of them, if they could be rotatable like the forum banner?

Stellar work.
Null

Postby PonderThis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 am

I added a few more to the full Rogues' Gallery Page: http://www.spamusers.com/features/characters.php

Null wrote:I wonder ... if they could be rotatable like the forum banner?

Yeah, that's the idea. When I get to it -- there's always something! :|

Null wrote:Stellar work.

Thanks! :)
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm

I think that really looks the part. It really adds some flavour to the front page.

A tiny, nitpicky thing - the yellow glow coming off the 'Start with the First Spamuser Comic' button partially covers up the date of the post above it.
MysticalDescent

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 am

So I thought I'd post an update and let you all know some results.

The MSP Fan Adventures ad ran for a week and got us 57 unique clicks. It was pretty cheap when I first got it but after a week its price suddenly shot up so I decided not to renew it at that point. I'll probably go back at some point and put in a "low ball" bid and see what happens.

Last week I put in ads on Optipess (the big sideline tower ad), Gunnerkrigg Court (the square box ad with no overlying text), and Questionable Content (a teeny tiny button ad). The results were 5, 10, and 52 respectively. I guess Optipess just doesn't get that much traffic. GC was running "filler" last week so maybe that affected it. It's funny that the itty bitty button on QC did so (comparatively) well!

Over the weekend I decided to shell out some big bucks (well, for me) and ran a tower ad on SMBC, which resulted in 326 people visiting our site. Wooo! Still, nobody has joined up on the forums yet, but advertising is a numbers game. All I can do is keep trying.

Which brings me to the current situation. The ads all stopped Sunday night because the funds ran out quicker than I thought they would. I'm having some payment weirdness going on with Paypal (which is the only way they accept payment grrrr) but I got some funds in there and the ads are going again. We'll see what happens next.

Oh and if you know of a site with Project Wonderful ads on it that you think is a good match please let me know!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 am

MysticalDescent wrote:I think that really looks the part. It really adds some flavour to the front page.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

MysticalDescent wrote:A tiny, nitpicky thing - the yellow glow coming off the 'Start with the First Spamuser Comic' button partially covers up the date of the post above it.

Yes. Yes it does. :mrgreen:
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 am

Oh and one more thing:

ADS ARE RUNNING* SO START POOPING OUT CARTOONS, PEOPLE! :P

* - On SMBC, QC, and Optipess. But not GC. Apparently he stopped using ProjectW over the weekend and switched to Google Ads. :x
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby Null » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:11 am

I'll try to come up with something shortly. Not much inspiration lately.

Um, just a note, or just an observation, perhaps. And not intended to be critical, or anything. But the line "We eat spam for breakfast and poop out cartoons" is a bit...off-putting? Maybe?

Admittedly I am older than all of you put together, multiplied by several centuries, but if I were unfamiliar with the site I'd be hesitant to click further. It just seems a bit crude.

If I were to suggest a slogan, it might be more along the lines of "How can you turn irritation into entertainment?" Or "Get more from your [spam] folder than just clicking 'Delete'. Here's how!"

Admittedly again, I'm an idiot...who apparently drove Nik away! So my ideas might be fairly toxic. Buyer beware and all that.
Null

Postby PonderThis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 am

Well it depends on the website I think. The "poop out cartoons" is just a funny turn of phrase I think fits in with SMBC pretty well. Still, I never intended to have JUST these ads, I was kinda hoping people would help me out so I can rotate them in and out. Seriously, I'd like to have some more ads to use. And since the ad on GC seems to be back, that's four sites we're on right now. So that means we now have the "skyscraper" ads on two sites, one "square" (125x125), and one "button" (117x30). Any site suggestions/new ads are welcome.

Hmmm ... I do currently have the two "skyscraper" ads, though, so I can swap'em out. EDIT: OK, I swapped 'em.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby chrismachine » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Just saw one of our ads on SMBC :)
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

PreviousNext

Return to Spamusers!