Video Game Stuff

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.

Re: Video Game Stuff

Postby PonderThis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City Sim City
Less than two weeks!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Ah man I started a game of Blood Bowl and got a pretty ace team which is cool! Then realised they'd released a new edition at some point, adding a few teams I also wanted to play. But now I like my team, but also I want to play the new game. The two are compatible in multiplayer, but I don't believe there's any way to port teams over. I want to play the newer game, but also have my super dude werewolves hanging around. Oh well.
Last edited by ntw3001 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 am

Processing Large File... Please Wait :x

... took about an hour and a half. But at least it finished before I had to go to work. Tonight: Actually playing SimCity! Woooo!
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby IanC » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Remake of the NES Duck Tales game coming out in the Summer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6d1A2ro ... e=youtu.be
:D
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby giantsfan97 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I've become somewhat obsessed with Starcraft II and the whole e-sports scene.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Skimba » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey Gif! Where have you been???
giantsfan97 wrote:I've become somewhat obsessed with Starcraft II and the whole e-sports scene.

Oh. There's my answer. :)
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 pm

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!
MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Nyperold » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:01 am

So I was watching the night portion of the day-night cycle in Endless Ocean: Blue World, and you can kind of tell that they didn't expect people to be skygazing. If you watch long enough, there's a good chance you'll see the moon pass behind a star. As, y'know, moons are wont to do.
Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 am

That's no star ... [/ominous obi-wan kenobi voice]

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 am

Also, on the topic of video games, SimCity has proven to be somewhat of a disappointment.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby IanC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 pm

I dont think EA deserve to win "worst company in america" over it though. Oh internet.

In other news, LEGO City Undercover is whole load of fun. Best LEGO game EVAR.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm not hip to the times, but it used to be people hated them for their business practices and treatment of people. Maybe that's still a big part of it.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.
chrismachine

Postby PonderThis » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 pm

IanC wrote:I dont think EA deserve to win "worst company in america" over it though. Oh internet.

You're quite right.

I think I can say I didn't have nearly as bad an experience with SimCity as a lot of people have had, though. I downloaded it without any trouble, although it did take several hours, but that's just annoying not a serious problem. And the "always on" internet thing is, again, merely annoying since my internet is fairly reliable. I did have to abandon the first server I was on because it filled up and after a couple of days I simply could not connect to it, but I wasn't happy with that first city anyway, so no big deal starting over.

What has made the game experience less than stellar for me is the bugs and some aspects of game play. Despite gorgeous graphics and an excellent user interface, it seems to lack a certain something versus the old SimCities. And with the bugs ... well when things don't seem to be going right, it is something I did (or didn't) do, or is it an actual bug in the game? I've taken to using the "gimme money" cheat several times and not feeling the least bit guilty about it because I'm having to build/destroy/build/destroy some things several times to get them to work.
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 am

chrismachine wrote:I'm not hip to the times, but it used to be people hated them for their business practices and treatment of people. Maybe that's still a big part of it.

I recall them being famously horrible to their employees and doing some bad things regarding studio acquisitions (or maybe that's a different publisher, they're all the same as far as I can tell). But yeah, their biggest crime is making subpar sequels to people's favouriote video games. How do they sleep at night!

Last year they responded to the award with scornful sarcasm, as they really should. This year, they very contritely pledged to 'do better', without acknowledging any way in which they intended to change their practices. I guess they're trying out the full range of 'things we can say' in the hope that they won't have to actually do anything to get popular.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby sum yun gai » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:47 am

somehow i don't think "inconvenient to play games without internet" compares with "dump millions of gallons of toxic oil in arkansas" but YMMV. the way they handled the simcity opening left a lot to be desired but i also haven't bought an EA game (intentionally) for quite some time now so i missed out on the "fun"
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."
sum yun gai

Postby IanC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 pm

ntw3001 wrote: But yeah, their biggest crime is making subpar sequels to people's favouriote video games. How do they sleep at night!

I know, terrible isnt it?

I might get Sim City when it falls in price and is fixed a bit.
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

I might do the same. The EA sports games are in a class of their own so I really don't have much of a choice without sacrificing the quality of the game.
chrismachine

Postby IanC » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I would have to wait till June anyway for the Mac version. Which was meant to come out closer to launch, but I guess EA moved staff over to fixing the dang game first before releasing it else where :P
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:51 pm

There are problems with EA beyond SimCity and how they treat sequels, but they're obviously not the worst company in the world. That's ridiculous. The problem for them is that their audience skews towards the technologically savvy, has a large online community, and is prone to knee-jerk reactions. In other words, a bunch of people who are more likely to know about the vote, able to mobilize as a group, and bitter about comparatively inconsequential stuff. I mean, yes, it matters if a publisher screws up a game, but only worsens the world in the most superficial of ways. There is much worse stuff going on.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Has anyone else here played Dota 2? I got it for free so I played a game, and found it impenetrably arcane. It seems that the tutorials aren't fully implemented yet, so I got as far as learning to play an RTS (click on the ground to move, click on the bads to attack). Then if the full game (against bots, on easy), I have no idea what's going on. I read a guid and we're supposed to be destroying the opposing throne, and also there are towers and shops, but you don't push on the towers unless the creep line is either forward or back or in the middle (but don't attack the creeps, except do, but don't because it makes the creep line move and that is bad?) and the bundle of sticks is a good thing to buy for some reason and you should get a donkey (I bought a donkey and clicked on it, and it left my inventory and did nothing). So... I'm not really sure where to go from there. I assume the expected means of learning the game is via a person standing behind you, but I don't seem to have one. Online guides are not very useful, because I can't read through a guide and play a game at the same time. There's definitely an urgent need for more tutorials.

But then, from what I hear of the community around the game, it's probably not worth getting involved with. The consensus seems to be that every public game will always be terrible, so meh. There's always TF2. But I'm also bad at that now, because I used the random matchmaking and played on a lot of official Valve servers. I didn't play for over a year and it didn't make much of a difference, but a couple of months playing on the newbie servers and I can't do anything against decent players any more. Maybe I should find something better to do with my time (just kidding, I'm in Essex!).
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby James » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:28 pm

It seems to me that the whole attraction of lords management games is that they have a whole bunch of stuff you have to learn. My flatmate is a big fan of League of Legends, and he was enthusiastically telling me how much stuff you can read about it online. That's great for people who love the super high skill ceiling stuff, but I don't really spend much time playing games any more; I really don't want to have to spend a whole bunch of time not playing a game in order to be able to play it well. Also I don't really do well in high-pressure team scenarios. When he's playing, I hear my flatmate shouting repeated commands and exclamations, and he's obviously very invested, but I find it incredibly annoying. I don't want to play something that involves someone shouting "BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP! BACK UP!" into my ear every five minutes. It'll just make me want to hit people.

I did try a round with him out of curiosity a while ago. It seems like a good enough game if you can get past all that stuff. I'm probably just casual and lame.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm

*spit* casual gamers

That term must be one of the most irritating things on the internet. The spite some people seem to have for, uh, whatever they think that term might mean ('ppl i dun like D:<) baffles me. I think the rule is that if someone wishes to be elitist about how other people play video games, that person is forbidden ever to be elitist about anything.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby PonderThis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:56 am

ntw3001 wrote:... if someone wishes to be elitist about how other people play video games, that person is forbidden ever to be elitist about anything.

:like: :+1:
PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby IanC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:22 pm

I hate the term casual gamers/games, or at least what the idiots on the internet have turned it in to.

You know whats considered a "casual game"? Bejewelled. Yep, Be-rickin'-frackin'-jewlled.

Peggle too. Man i have lost so much time to that game, one more round i say... then i like up and realise i have played way more than one more round. If those are casual games, and liking them makes me a casual gamer, then fork it, im a casual gamer (who oddly still likes playing more so called hardcore games like Borderlands 2, which im playing at the moment.)
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby chrismachine » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I had always assumed that the term meant people who enjoyed playing games (whether just the major titles or a specific kind like sports games) but didn't invest much time or energy into their play apart from when it's convenient. Like a casual drinker. I had therefore always assumed that I was such a gamer myself, as I love the sports games, and a few other games you can play for an hour at a time like battlefield or borderlands or skyrim.
chrismachine

PreviousNext

Return to None of the Above