Test your brain, for science!

What? You like other sites besides Spamusement? Unacceptable!

Test your brain, for science!

Postby jvcc » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 am

I've overstated it a bit. There's a website where you can participate in tests by the site testmybrain.org, affiliated with Harvard University (I went to Harvard's website and ran a search for testmybrain just to make sure that it is indeed legitimate), in order to help researchers learn a bit more about things like memory and facial recognition. I enjoy these sorts of things and thought you all might as well.

I did the "Test of Multiple Memory Types" and for Abstract Art scored in what looks to be around the 95th percentile, 80th on the Cambridge Face Memory Test, and about 75th on Verbal Paired Associates.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: Test your brain, for science!

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Perhaps later.

If there's a face memory test, I'm in for a hard time. When I changed schools (briefly) at 16 one of my friends had a haircut two or three weeks into the term and I didn't know who he was any more. This is a typical thing.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby jvcc » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:31 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Perhaps later.

If there's a face memory test, I'm in for a hard time. When I changed schools (briefly) at 16 one of my friends had a haircut two or three weeks into the term and I didn't know who he was any more. This is a typical thing.

I don't know if the test claims that there is any correlation between your ability to score highly on the tests and your ability to memorize faces in real life. I tend to be a bit spacey so I'm often not looking at the people around me, which necessarily means that I don't really remember their faces well.

I scored fairly high in all areas and I think it's because I tried to relate all the things I was expected to memorize to words somehow. So even on tests that one would assume measure your visual memory became a matter of verbal memory (for example, for the face recognition I would remember people as "straight eyebrows" or "sad eyes, but smiling").
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EsBe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I totally showed word association who's the boss.

I hope, however, that I am never held hostage by 6 old women, and that my life depends on correctly recognizing them in a crowd.
EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby Zombie Protestor » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Things were going swimmingly until they wanted to know if any of these people were the 6 people I just saw.

And apparently, if you spray paint yourself in multiple colors, I have no clue who you are anymore.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby jvcc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 am

That's how I felt, too, but it claims I scored higher than seven out of every ten people who took that test. Maybe I'm just really lucky and my luck is skewing their research. For the sake of science, I'll stop taking their tests.

Esbe wrote:6 old women

Wait a minute, I got six young men for mine.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Abstract art - 40% I had a hard time with some of them, while others stood out greatly. I dunno, most of the pictures were very similar and had few noteworthy things to differentiate them.
Verbal - 90-95% Knew I screwed up at least 1 of them
Faces - 75-80% It was pretty tough with the spraypaint effect, but the eyebrows, lips and general demeanour of the faces came through better than I expected.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby Skimba » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:45 am

jvcc wrote:That's how I felt, too, but it claims I scored higher than seven out of every ten people who took that test. Maybe I'm just really lucky and my luck is skewing their research. For the sake of science, I'll stop taking their tests.

Esbe wrote:6 old women

Wait a minute, I got six young men for mine.

I got the old women...and I kicked their butts! I don't have the graphic, but I scored getting them right more than 9 of 10 who took the test.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby Maura88 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 am

Dammit, these blinking faces almost drove me crazy!
Maura88
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Return to The Internets