All of the SIN none of the guilt

Oh, so you think you're funny? If you've made your own Spamusement strip, post it here.

All of the SIN none of the guilt

Postby Portals » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Line from Tangent.
Portals
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby kzager » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 pm

You can have your cake but you can't eat it.
kzager
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Itszutak » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 am

Actually, with that specific cake, I doubt you could even have it without some degree of difficulty.
Itszutak
Reserved a Satellite Dish System For You

Postby Portals » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:07 am

Just because it's a Black Forest cake doesn't mean it's referencing Portal.
*cough* Image
Portals
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Robot_Starfish » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:34 am

Black Forest cake with barbwire tips... You will definitely need Portal to work around those.

*Portal* *nom nom nom* [repeat] etc. Just try not to suffocate.
You know how kids make snow-angels? Well, I make vomit-angels and I make them well. A+
Robot_Starfish
Lasts 36 Hours

Postby kvn8907 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Itszutak wrote:Actually, with that specific cake, I doubt you could even have it without some degree of difficulty.

Nothing like an in-game meme to make an irl meme.
according to the swear filter, kvn8907 wrote:Too bad the sort of get togethers I go to are generally too polite to use the term "fork"

PonderThis wrote:Watch it, slydon, I think he's just trying to butter you up.
kvn8907
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby James » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm

"Meme" is just another word for "too lazy to come up with an actual joke".

Of course I sometimes partake in such idiocy, but I'm really sick of the whole cake thing. Why are people so obsessed with what is probably the weakest element of a fantastic game, and why do they insist on reducing the whole thing to a dumb catchphrase? I don't know, perhaps I'm just a humourless git, but it seems to be doing the game an injustice.

Not that I have a problem with the reference in the cartoon. That's not being bashed over my head or anything.

Oh, I don't really feel about it as strongly as this post implies. It just niggles me that people latch onto stuff so thoroughly, without much concern for the actual value at its core. Would it be pretentious to relate that on the prevalence of overconsumption rife in our society? OK, I'd best not do that, then.
SIGNATURE: GONE
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby catastrophile » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I think the Internet has destroyed the whole concept of the inside joke. It's gone from a byproduct of social interaction to a method of social interaction. Or something.

I think that's a pretty good summary of the page and a half of rambling on this topic that I don't really feel like doing.
[/bastard]
catastrophile
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby James » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:09 pm

Totally.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby catastrophile » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm

James wrote:Totally.

:x
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby kvn8907 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:55 pm

James wrote:"Meme" is just another word for "too lazy to come up with an actual joke".

Of course I sometimes partake in such idiocy, but I'm really sick of the whole cake thing. Why are people so obsessed with what is probably the weakest element of a fantastic game, and why do they insist on reducing the whole thing to a dumb catchphrase? I don't know, perhaps I'm just a humourless git, but it seems to be doing the game an injustice.

Not that I have a problem with the reference in the cartoon. That's not being bashed over my head or anything.

Oh, I don't really feel about it as strongly as this post implies. It just niggles me that people latch onto stuff so thoroughly, without much concern for the actual value at its core. Would it be pretentious to relate that on the prevalence of overconsumption rife in our society? OK, I'd best not do that, then.

Probably because it's most memorable. Ask someone about Bill Nye the Science Guy and they'll probably start singing the theme song, despite that probably being the worst part, and almost every other parody song (I have all of them :D ) is better, heck nearly every skit is better, but people don't tend to remember them. Same with Portal. Sure, the bit at the end about "raw sewage" is A LOT funnier than "the cake is a lie", but it's less memorable, and longer.
according to the swear filter, kvn8907 wrote:Too bad the sort of get togethers I go to are generally too polite to use the term "fork"

kvn8907
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Skimba » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:44 pm

James wrote:"Meme" is just another word for "too lazy to come up with an actual joke".

I've never gotten the "joke" about it. Or that stupid lamp one either.

I just ignore them and go about my life.
(I understand that they, or at least the cake one, is a reference to some game. A game I have never, nor probably ever, intend(ed) to play.)
To me, this comic was funny and made enough sense (cake is bad for you) without needing an "inside" joke to go along with it.
Skimba
Impresses the Females

Location: Skeleton!;Skeleton Key;Skeleton Girl;The Skeleton in the Closet;Skeleton Crew;Jack Skelington

Postby kvn8907 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Skimba wrote:
a reference to some game

o.e

Despite this thread, you still don't know which game we're talking about?

kvn8907
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby catastrophile » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Or care enough to register the name, perhaps. Believe it or not, many people don't.
[/bastard]
catastrophile

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Could be worse, at least she didn't get a cake and a milkshake.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.
quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby Chrono Crow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:33 pm

quetzalcoatlus wrote:You should always make sure that all your important pussy cheese and uncle-rapist is backed up, in case your computer crashes.
Chrono Crow
Spam King

Postby Portals » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Sometimes a cake is just a cake.
Portals
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby reo01 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:04 am

NOW you're thinking with Portals.
jvcc wrote:A giraffe stole my balloon when I was little.
reo01
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby James » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:17 pm

kvn8907 wrote:Sure, the bit at the end about "raw sewage" is A LOT funnier than "the cake is a lie", but it's less memorable, and longer.

While the comedy enhanced the experience, the best things about Portal were the mechanics of it and the story. I hesitated on the latter term, because if you wrote it down it would take about one paragraph and be pretty dull, but I think it's an example of something that takes on a whole new dimension when interactive, and a great example of a game being good specifically because it's a game. Anyway, that doesn't have much to do with this thread.

Skimba wrote:To me, this comic was funny and made enough sense (cake is bad for you) without needing an "inside" joke to go along with it.

If I'm honest, I didn't even notice it was the same style of cake as the one in Portal. When it was pointed out, however, I was reminded of the incessant references to that one throw-away line, and it set me off on a disproportionate rant.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Return to Spamuser Comics